Donate to help this project

This website focuses on photographs and documenting the gravestones of local Maine, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire history and genealogy of early ancestors who settled New England, and gravestone artistry. It's also completely a volunteer effort by a very small amount of people. Your contributions help keep this site growing. Please consider a donation if you've found anything interesting here.

These photos are never allowed to be copied or posted to other websites without permission.
Read the copyright notice before copying any photos or information off this site.

A Very Grave Matter on Facebook
Burying Grounds | About This Project | Interesting Carvings | Soul Effigies & Angels | Quick Tidbits | Epitaphs | Blog | Contact
Headstones, Colonial, Revolutionary War, Vital Records, Epitaphs, Epitaph, Historical, photos, photography, photographs, pictures, tombstone art, 17th century, 18th century, 16th century
 

Burying Grounds, Cemeteries, Gravestones & History of Portsmouth, New Hampshire

Cemeteries & History of Portsmouth, New Hampshire

Cemetery Status: Good. Could use some landscaping, gravestone repair. Many stones have sunk below the ground's surface and can't be read.

Read the copyright notice before copying any photos or information off this site.

St. John's Church/Queen's Chapel Burying Ground

 

Photos have been uploaded but not all transcribed.

View entire gallery

Nathaniel Adams d. 1829, Civil Engineer, author of The Annals of Portsmouth, Clerk of the Superior Court and Masonic Grand Master of NH.
Dorcas Bradford d. 1769
John Bradford d. 1745
Elisabeth Clark d. 1798, "departed this transitory scene of action for a state of Angelic bliss."
Benjamin N. Clarkson d. 1814
Frances Sarah Ann Cochran d. 1803
Sarah Cochran d. 180?
Christopher Cullines d. 1753
Elizabeth Davenport d. 17??
John Davenport d. 1842, Master of St. John's Masonic Lodge
Sarah Davenport d. 1843
Hannah Sheafe Folsom d. 1878
Nathaniel Rindge Folsom d. 1859
William Folsom d. 1868
Margaret Furniss d. 1834, photo 2
Robert Furniss, Esq. d. 1800
Elizabeth Gardner d. 17??
Elizabeth Gardner d. 1818
John Gardner d. 1797
Sarah Gardner d. 1782
Sarah Gardner d. 18??
William Gardner d. 18??
Charles Carroll Hall d. 1909, warden of St. John's Church
Meagan Ham d. 1828
Samuel Ham d. 184?
Elizabeth Hickey d. 1783
Ann Horney d. 1820
Capt. Gilbert Horney d. 1802, of Poole, England. Master of the Brig Pomona
Rev. Henry Emerson Hovey d. 1909
Louise Folsom Hovey d. 1927
Hon. George Jaffrey d. 1801, State Treasurer of NH 1695/1695; Judge, Chief Justice; Town of Jaffrey, NH is named for him.
Cornelius Johns Kirby d. 1816
Margaret Manning d. 17??
Thomas Manning d. 17??
Anna M. Oliver d. 1893
Dr. Nathan W. Oliver d. 1863
Enoch Greenleafe Parrott d. 1879, side 2, side 3, side 4, Top view, Rear-Admiral of the US Navy and Commander of several ships including, USS Canonicus, Ironclads: USS Monadnock, USS Agamenticus. Engaged on the west coast of Africa in 1843. He served on the "Congress" during the war with Mexico, was on Fremont's expedition from Monterey to Los Angeles, and at the capture of Guaymas and Mazatlan. Captured the Confederate privateer " Savannah," for which he received a commendation, participated in the battle of Port Royal, engaged the Confederate rams in Charleston, was in the engagements with the iron-clads on James river in 1864, and in the fights with Howett's battery. He also was in the attacks on Fort Fisher and was at the surrender of Charleston, South Carolina He was commissioned captain in 1866, commodore in 1870, rear-admiral in 1873, and was retired in 1874.
James Brackett Parrott d. 1890
Gregory Purcell d. 1788
Mary Purcell d. 1788
Charles Augustus Rice d. 18??
Elizabeth Rice d. 18??
Elizabeth Rice d. 1842
Elizabeth Sarah Rice d. 1824
Capt. Samuel Rice d. 1802, Commander of the privateer ship "Fancy," and of the privateer ship "Retaliation.
??? Seaward d. 18??
John Gardner Stevens d. 17??
Mary Stevens d. 1853
Elizabeth Turner d. 17??
David Shackford Welch d. 1795, heelstone



More History in Portsmouth to Visit

Historic Sites Around Portsmouth Gallery

Benedict House Also known as Thomas W. Penhallow House
30 Middle St.
a Jonathan Folsom building. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.


Black Heritage Trail
walking tour through the downtown area
Stops all over downtown at locations important to the early Portsmouth Black cultural history, extending back to the 1600's when the first slaves were brought here. For all the stops, visit SeacoastNH.com

Daniel Pinkham House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Federal style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1815.

Daniel Webster House
Hancock Street
Exterior viewing only. Daniel Webster lived in 3 different homes in Portsmouth. This is the last survivor, and is now part of the Strawbery Banke Museum.

Fort Washington
Peirce's Island
built in 1775 under orders of Major General John Sullivan, overall commander of the Portsmouth harbor defenses, to command the Piscataqua River at "the Narrows" and to provide crossfire with Fort Sullivan directly across the river on Seavey's Island.

Franklin Block
75 Congress St.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

General Porter House Also known as Matthew Livermore House
32--34 Livermore St.
Georgian style. Private residence. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Once home to General John Fitz-Porter, a Civil War hero.

George Rogers House
76 Northwest St.
Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Hart-Rice House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Georgian style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1756 by Samuel Hart.

Haven--White House Also known as Joseph Haven House
229 Pleasant St.
Federal style. Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Henry Sherburne House Also known as Richard Shortridge House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Georgian style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Isles of Shoals
Some islands located in Maine, some in New Hampshire 10 miles off the coast of Kittery/Portsmouth/Rye. Tours to and around the island are available in Portsmouth, Rye, & Newburyport.
Starting as a fishing community in the 16th century, and later a resort community popular during the Victorian era, it's most famous residents are Samuel Haley, the Smuttynose Murder victims and writer Celia Thaxter. More information and history.

Jabez Fitch House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Built in 1725 by members of the North Church for their new minister.

James Neal House
74 Deer St.
Federal style. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Jeremiah Hart House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Georgian style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1800.

John Hart House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Georgian style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.


Gov. John Langdon Mansion

143 Pleasant St.
Built 1784. John Langdon rose from modest origins to become a merchant, shipbuilder, Revolutionary leader, signer of the United States Constitution, and three-term governor of New Hampshire. His opulent home is now a museum and a beautiful example of New England architecture. Open: June 1 through October 15 Friday through Sunday. Tours at 11 a.m., noon, 1 p.m., 2 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4 p.m.


John Paul Jones House
Also known as Purcell--Jones--Langdon House
43 Middle and State Sts.
Built 1758. Once home to John Paul Jones, father of the American Navy, now a museum and home to the Portsmouth Historical Society. Open June 1 - mid-October, 10-4 pm, Sun 12-4. Closed Tues & Wed. More on John Paul Jones.

Gov. John Wentworth House Also known as John Fisher House
346 Pleasant St.
Georgian style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Once home to the second and last Royal governor of New Hampshire, 1767-1775 who fled the colonies in 1775 with the passing of the Townsend Acts.

Joshua Wentworth House
119 Hanover St.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Larkin--Rice House
180 Middle St.
Private residence. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Liberty Pole
Marcy St., Prescott Park
Erected in 1913 to mark the spot where on January 9, 1766, the "Sons of Liberty" of Portsmouth placed the first "No Stamp Flag" raised in the American Colonies.

MacPheadris--Warner House Also known as The Warner House
Chapel and Daniel Sts.
Built 1716. Georgian style home is the earliest brick urban mansion in New England. It features the oldest colonial wall painting still in place in the United States. Now a museum, open June 1 to October 31.


Moffatt--Ladd House
Also known as William Whipple House
154 Market St.
Built in 1763 by Capt. John Moffatt for his son Samuel, this was once home to William Whipple, general during the Revolutionary War and signer of the Declaration of Independence. Open June 15 through October 15, Monday through Saturday :  11:00 a.m.--5:00 p.m. (last tour is at 4:30 p.m.) Sunday :  1:00 p.m.--5:00 p.m. (last tour is at 4:30 p.m.) Group tours by appointment. School tours by appointment. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

New Hampshire Bank Building Also known as Portsmouth Savings Bank; First National Bank Building
22--26 Market Sq.
Architect: Eliphalet Ladd. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.


North Church
Market Square
First organized in 1671, the present structure was rebuilt in 1855. Some notable worshippers during its long history: General William Whipple, signer of the Declaration of Independence, John Langdon, signer of the U.S. Constitution, Daniel Webster, John Paul Jones, and President George Washington.

Nutter--Rymes House
48 School St.
Federal style, James Nutter architect. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Originally built in 1810. The house has what was an arched carriage way dividing it and was designed by architect James Nutter. It's now home to the Blue Mermaid Island Grill.

Phoebe Hart House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Federal style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Built in in 1812.

The Pearl of Portsmouth Also known as Freewill Baptist Church--Peoples Baptist Church--New Hope Church
45 Pearl St.
Italianate church that was the first Black church in Portsmouth. Martin Luther King spoke here in 1952 and his future wife, Coretta Scott was a solo in the choir. More about the Pearl. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Portsmouth Athenaeum
9 Market Sq.
A non-profit membership library and museum, incorporated in 1817. Open to the public Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from 1-4 p.m.

Portsmouth Cottage Hospital
Junkins Ave., S side of South Mill Pond
Colonial Revival. Architects Robert Coit, Harry B. Ball. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Portsmouth Garrisons

Portsmouth Parade Historic District
Along Deer and High Sts.
Federal style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Portsmouth Plains Powder House
Islington St.
built in 1811

Portsmouth Public Library Also known as Portsmouth Academy
8 Islington St.
Architect James Nutter. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.


Prescott Park
Marcy St.
Once Portsmouth's red light district, this street was lined with brothels until the Prescott Sisters came along. They razed all but one of the brothels and built this beautiful riverside park.

Richard Jackson House
Northwest St.
Built 1660. Colonial home, now a museum. Open: June through October, First Saturday of the month. Tours at 11 a.m., noon, 1 p.m., 2 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4 p.m.

Rockingham Hotel
401 State St.
Colonial Revival. Once owned by brewer/politician Frank Jones. Now condos and the Library Restaurant on the first floor. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Rundlet--May House
364 Middle St
Built 1807. Federal style. Now a museum, open: June through October, First Saturday of the month. Tours at 11 a.m., noon, 1 p.m., 2 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4 p.m.

Samuel Beck House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Federal style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Built ca. 1760.

Samuel Gerrish House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Built in 1822 by architect James Nutter.

Shapley Town House Also known as Reuben Shapley House
454--456 Court St.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Now part of the Strawbery Banke Museum.


Sheafe Warehouse

Prescott Park
Built in 1705 for Thomas Sheafe, a local shipping merchant. It's now home to the Folk Art Museum.

Simeon P. Smith House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Federal style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.


South End Historic District

Marcy st., Rte. 1B to New Castle and all cross streets
This historic neighborhood is chock full of antique homes. Makes a great walk. Start at Prescott Park and make your way south towards New Castle.

South Meetinghouse
Marcy St. and Meeting House Hill
Italianate, Greek Revival style, completed in 1866. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

South Parish Also known as South Unitarian Universalist Church
292 State St.
Early Republic style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Built 1824-26 possibly by Jonathan Folsom.


St. John's Church
Also known as Queen's Chapel
105 Chapel St.
Built in 1736. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Features the oldest operative pipe organ in the United States, a marble baptismal font which was a prize of war captured from the French at Senegal and presented to the church in 1761, a Book of Common Prayer published by John Baskett, London, England, 1739, and an early churchyard.


Strawberry Banke Museum

Bounded by Court and Marcy Sts. and both sides of Hancock and Washington Sts.
The earliest settlement in Portsmouth, this once nearly destroyed neighborhood is now a large museum featuring over 30 historic homes and buildings.
Self-Guiding Season, May 1 through October 31
: Open seven days a week. Monday through Saturday 10am to 5pm. Sunday, Noon to 5pm.
Guided Tour Season, November through April : Weekends, Christmas and Thanksgiving weeks. Saturdays, 10am-2pm. Sundays, noon-2pm. On the hour. Along with many events throughout the year.

Sugar Warehouse
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Used to store sugar from which rum was made, the warehouse was originally built for commercial purposes in 1780.

Tobias Lear House
Mechanic and Gardner Sts.
Birthplace of Tobias Lear, secretary to George Washington and home to the Lear family. Open Wednesdays in summer 1-4pm and by appointment. More information.

USS ALBACORE, Portsmouth Maritime Museum
600 Market St.
Tour a real life submarine. Built in Portsmouth, the USS Albacore served as the prototype for today's modern submarine fleet. Open Memorial Day-Columbus Day, 9:30am-5pm daily; Winter, 9:30am-4pm, closed Tues. & Wed.

Wentworth--Coolidge Mansion Also known as Benning Wentworth Mansion
375 Little Harbor Road
Built ca. 1750. Once the home of NH's first royal governor. Open mid-May through Labor Day, Wednesdays through Saturdays from 10:00am till 3:00pm (last tour at 2:00pm), and Sundays from 1:00pm till 5:00pm (last tour at 3:45pm). Listed on National Register of Historic Places.


Wentworth--Gardner House

140 Mechanic St.
Built c.1760 for Thomas Wentworth, brother of John Wentworth, the last royal governor of New Hampshire by his father Mark Hunking Wentworth, a prominent Portsmouth merchant. Open Tuesdays through Sundays 1-4pm
June - mid-October. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.More about the house.

Whidden-Ward House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Georgian style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1720.

Visit SeacoastNH.com for more Portsmouth history

If you know of an historic place to visit in Portsmouth, please submit it to jenn@gravematter.com

 

Find more museums in New Hampshire


Home | Burying Grounds | About This | Interesting Carvings | Quick Tidbits | Epitaphs | Blog | Contact, Sponsorships & Requests

All photographs and content Copyright © 2002 - <%=Year(Date)%> Jenn Marcelais (except where specified).
a Soul Oyster Web Studios production. web, design, seo & internet marketing services.