Donate to help this project

This website focuses on photographs and documenting the gravestones of local Maine, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire history and genealogy of early ancestors who settled New England, and gravestone artistry. It's also completely a volunteer effort by a very small amount of people. Your contributions help keep this site growing. Please consider a donation if you've found anything interesting here.

These photos are never allowed to be copied or posted to other websites without permission.
Read the copyright notice before copying any photos or information off this site.

A Very Grave Matter on Facebook
Burying Grounds | About This Project | Interesting Carvings | Soul Effigies & Angels | Quick Tidbits | Epitaphs | Blog | Contact
Headstones, Colonial, Revolutionary War, Vital Records, Epitaphs, Epitaph, Historical, photos, photography, photographs, pictures, tombstone art, 17th century, 18th century, 16th century
 

Burying Grounds, Cemeteries, Gravestones & History of Portsmouth, New Hampshire

Cemeteries & History of Portsmouth, New Hampshire

Union Cemetery is located next to the North Cemetery on Maplewood Ave. in Portsmouth.

Cemetery Status: Good. Many of the broken stones have been repaired under a project by the former Mayor's Blue Ribbon Portsmouth Historic Cemetery Committee. Trash is still a problem. Homeless people sleeping in the cemetery is a continuing problem in the warmer months. The (empty) retaining crypt at the back is falling into the pond below.

Union Cemetery

View entire gallery

Augusta B. ? d. 18??
Augusta W. d. 1857
Katie ? d. 1864, new photo
Katie Alice ? d. 1864, new photo
Louisa M. d. 18??
Edward D. Abbot d. 1848
Frances L. Akerman d. 1878, new photo
Henry J. Akerman d. 1867
Olive H. Akerman d. 1877
Albert Badger d. 18??
Elizabeth Badger d. 1824, new photo
Franklin Badger d. 1833, new photo
John Badger d. 1831, new photo
Albert H. Bailey d. 1891
Charles W. Bailey d. 1884 Second stone before gravestone restoration.
Daniel Bailey d. 1826
Daniel Bailey d. 1874
Elizabeth A. Bailey d. 1905. Second stone Before gravestone restoration.
George A. Bailey d. 1867
John E. Bailey d. 1895
Martha Bailey d. 1861
Martha A. Bailey d. 1850
Martha E. Plumer Bailey d. 1897
Nancy Bailey d. 1868
Olive C. Bailey d. 1846
Sarah Bailey d. 1847
Thomas A. Bailey d. 1825
Thomas D. Bailey d. 1870, grandfather of author Thomas Bailey Aldrich, "The Story of a Bad Boy", based on his childhood in Portsmouth while living at his grandfather's house. This book inspired friend Mark Twain to write "Tom Sawyer". "grocers, wood and lumber, 4 Long whf. Thomas D's h. 40 Court." (ref.)
Thomas T. Bailey d. 1853
John Ball d. 18??
Maria Louisa Bartlett d. 1850
Mary Bartlett d. 1849, before gravestone repair
John H. Bartlett d. 18??, before gravestone repair, 2. "Bartlett (John H.)  & Varrell (Hall) coopers, 39 Pier buildings, B's h. 11 Ladd." Business partners in life, their family burial plots are side by side. (ref.)
Louise Bigelow d. 1854
Deborah Brewster d. 18??
John G. Brewster d. 1867. "Joiner, & dealer in wood, 3 Geen, h. 40 Vaughan." (ref.)
Mercy S. Brewster d. 1859
Annie E. Brown d. 1915
Annie M. Brown d. 1876
Arthur H. Brown d. 1887
Elisabeth Treadwell Brown, stone 2 d. 1835
F. Peabody Brown d. 1854
Harriet Louisa A. Brown, stone 2 d. 1838
James Brown, stone 2 d. 1849, died at sea.
Thomas W. Brown d. 1914
Wallace H. Brown d. 1866
Walter H. Brown d. 1900
Benjamin Canney d. 1882, new photo
Emily Canney d. 1896, new photo
James Maderson Carter d. 1827. Before gravestone restoration.
Polly Carter d. 1842
Elizabeth Ellen Chamberlain d. 1925, photo 2
Charles Chapman d. 1812
Charles Chapman d. 18??
Elizabeth Chapman d. 1840
Elizabeth H. Chapman d. 18??
Mary Chapman d. 18??
Mary Chapman d. 1811
Moses Cutler Chapman d. 1822
Susan G. Chapman d. 18??
Thomas Chapman d. 18??
Alvin M. Clarke d. 1843
Eva Louise Clark d. 1854
Frank Adelberry Clark d. 1850
George Wallace Clark d. 1849
Capt. John Clark d. 1891
Lucy R. Clark d. 1873
Mary Elizabeth Clark d. 1857
Onsville M. Clarke d. 1845
James J. Comey d. 1876. photo 2.
Lucy A. Corneluis d. 1868
William H. Corneluis d. 1867
Gilman Dearborn d. 1857. "tanner, foot Dearbon, h. 4 Dearbon." (ref.)
Sarah S. Berry Dearborn, photo 2, d. 1877
Martha Ann DeMeritt d. 1872, photo 2
Samuel M. DeMeritt d. 1890, photo 2
Alexander Dennett d. 1923
Ann Eliza Dennett d. 1837, photo 2
Catherine Dennett Jr. d. 1810
Catherine Dennett d. 1853
Daniel Emery Dennett d. 1855
Dolly Dennett d. 1819, photo 2
G. Walker Dennett d. 1874
George Dennett d. 1864
George Franklin Dennett d. 1864, member of 19th Mass Regt., Civil War, held at Andersonville Prison and died at Andersonville Ga.
Dr. George William Dennett d. 1919
J. Plumer Dennett d. 1867, photo 2
Capt. John S.D. Dennett d. 1855, Died at sea on passage from New Orleans to Havre.
Mary E. Dennett d. 18??
Nathaniel Dennett d. 1853
Nathaniel Dennett d. 1854, mason, 11 Dennett. (ref.)
Nathaniel Dennett Jr. d. 1873
Nathaniel Dennett Jr. d. 1900
Robert O. Dennett d. 1882
Susan Davis Dennett d. 1873
Capt. Thomas Sims Dennett d. 1863, Quarter Master U.S.A., Civil War. Died at New Orleans La. "mariner, 46 Daniel," (ref.)
Dr. Dickson d. 1847
???rs Dickson d. 1849
Samuel M. Dockum, d. 1872, a federal period furniture & cabinet maker. Before gravestone repair. "cabinet maker, h. 7 Vaughan." (ref.)
Annie B. Dodge d. 1902. Before gravestone restoration.
Charles Henry Dodge d. 1833
James Dodge d. 1869. Before gravestone restoration
Jane Dodge d. 1867
Joseph Dodge d. 1849. "potter, h. 3 Dearbon, corner North, shop rear do." (ref.)
Louisa Dodge d. 18?? Before gravestone restoration
Mary Abba Dodge d. 1853
Abby P. Downing d. 18?5
Bartholomew Downing d. 18??. "joiner, h. 2 Wentworth." (ref.)
Charles E. Downing, photo 2, d. 1844
Fred Downing d. 187?
John H. Downing, photo 2, d. 1839
Sarah E. Downing, photo 2, d. 1844
Almenia B. Dwinel d. 1918, photo 2
Herman P. Dwinel d. 1959

A. R. H. Fernald d. 1855. "Fernald Ammi R, H., book keeper at Geo. Raynes', h. 10 Summer, cor. Islington." (ref.)
Albion W. Fernald d. 1883, photo 2
Ellen P. Fernald d. 1892, photo 2
Elizabeth Fernald d. 1860
Frederick A. Fernald d. 1907, photo 2

Frederick W. Fernald, photo 2, d. 1855, this Victorian monument has a beautiful portrait carving. "(firm   Raynes & Fernald,) 48 Court." (ref.)
Harriet R. Fernald d. 1849, photo 2
Herman Newton Fernald d. 1926, photo 2
Mary Ann Fernald d. 180?. Before gravestone repair
Menard Fernald d. 1844
Samuel S. Fernald d. 1805 Before gravestone repair
Mrs. George Fitzgerald d. 1848
George K. S. Fitzgerald d. 1870
Benjamin Franklin Foster d. 1865
David C. Foster d. 18??
David E. Foster d. 18??
Lucy Maria Foster d. 1868
Charles W. Gerrish d. 1870
Elizabeth S. Knowles Gerrish d. 1854. Before gravestone repair
Dolly Giles d. 1838, photo 2
Josiah Giles d. 1813, photo 2
Susan Giles d. 1831, photo 2
Capt. Nathan Godfrey d. 1875, a sea captain. Before gravestone repair. Shipmaster, lived at 28 Vaughan St. (which is across the street from this cemetery.) (ref.)
Benjamin Green d. 1840. "cordwainer at Hill & Carr's, h. 32 Vaughan." (ref.)
David Foster Green d. 1853
Eliza J. Foster Green d. 1900
Mark Green d. 1851, a Revolutionary War soldier. Before gravestone repair. "boat builder, h. 2 Jackson." (ref.)
Mark Green d. 1854. "boat builders, 2 Short, Mark Jr's h. 2 Jackson." (ref.)
Nancy Green d. 184? Before gravestone repair
Samuel S. Green d. 1901, "The son of a Revolutionary soldier." "(firm Mark Green Jr. & Sam'l S.) h. 48 Daniel." (ref.)
Sarah C. Green d. 1863
Sophronia L. Green d. 1846
Frank Adelberry H?? d. 1850
George Wallace H?? d. 1849
Albert W. Ham d. 1881
Albert W. Ham d. 1901
Edwin Ham d. 1831
Franklin Ham d. 1831
Harriet B. Ham d. 1831
Isabella G. Ham d. 1830
Louisa M. Ham, stone 2, d. 1881
Mary L. Ham d. 1839
Timothy Ham d. 1854. "joiner, 2 Dennett, h. 1 do." (ref.)
William Ham d. 1839
William F. Ham d. 1895
Zoah Hillard Ham d. 1872
Ann Lea Hanscom d. 1843
Mary Jane Hanscom d. 1886
Oliver Hanscom d. 1877. "cooper, 109 Market, h. 41 Vaughan." (ref.)
Ralph Augustus Hanscom d. 1849
Abigail Hart, photo 2, d. 1845
George Hart d. 1820
George Hart, photo 2, d. 1851. "blacksmith, 29 Deer, h. 30 do." (ref.)
George Edward Hart d. 184?
Lucy B. Hart d. 1884
Margaret Ann Hart d. 18??
Phebe Hart d. 1849
Phebe Ann Hart d. 182?
Mary Jane Harvey d. 1872
Sarah Phipps Harvey d. 1887
Abigail Hill d. 1861. Before gravestone restoration.
Elisha Brown Hill d. 1847. "merchant, c. r. 61 Market, h, 10 Islington." (ref.)
Henrietta Hill d. 1821, photo 2
Henrietta L. Hill d. 18??
James Hill d. 1829. Before gravestone restoration.
James Madison Hill d. 1888. "shipmaster, 16 North." (ref.)
Jane Hill d. 1836
Valerie Hill d. 1895
Brackett Hutchings d. 1865, new photo. "druggist and apothecary, 4 Market, h. 47 Daniel." (ref.)
Elizabeth M. Hutchings d. 1874, new photo
Priscilla H. Hutchings d. 1842, new photo
Charles A. Jackson d. 1876
Mary F. Jackson d. 1877. Before restoration
Nathaniel Jackson d. 1876
Nathaniel Jackson d. 1898. Before restoration
Moses Noble Jenkins
Margaret A. Kennard d. 1885
Franklin Laighton d. 1841
Joseph Laighton d. 1848
Joseph Laighton d. 1859
Martha S. Hart Laighton d. 184?
Samuel Laighton d. 1840
John E. Lyon d. 1878, photo 2
Lucy Main d. 1841, photo 2
Augustus C. Mann d. 185?
Parker Manson d. 1871
John S. F. Martin d. 1848
Sarah F. Martin d. 1872
William Martin d. 1869 "block & mast maker, Long's whf., h. 7 Deer." (ref.)
Adelaide ("Addie") M. McIntosh d. 1906
William A. McIntosh d. 1869
Judith Moulton d. 1871
Hannah Mugridge d. 1886
John Mugridge d. 1871. "calker & ship carpenter, c. r. 1 Rindge whf., h. 119 Market." (ref.)
Ann Noble d. 1837
Charles B. Noble d. 1931
Dorothea Noble d. 1834
Ella Ostrelenea Noble d. 1859. photo 2
Jeremiah Noble d. 18??. "shoresman, Noble's Island." (ref.)
Lucy A. Noble d. 1885
Moses Noble d. 1866. "shoresman, Noble's Island." (ref.)
Robert Noble d. 1828
Sally Noble d. 1849
Sarah Austin Noble d. 1847. photo 2
Victoria Noble d. 1847. photo 2
Abigail Nutter d. 1823
Franklin Nutter d. 1823
George Nutter d. 1841. "farmer at Nathaniel Jackson's, bds. do." (ref.)
Elizabeth W. Palfrey d. 1878
George W. Palfrey, photo 2, d. 1851
Ida R. Palfrey d. 1898
Sarah D. Palfrey d. 1870
William W. Palfrey d. 1890
Sophia C. Parry d. 18??. Before gravestone repair.
? Sarah Patten d. 1858. Before gravestone repair.
Mabelle Phipps
Capt. Robert F. Phipps d. 1820, drowned, was also a cooper. (ref.) Commanded the Portsmouth Artillery in 1813 during the War of 1812 (ref.)
Sarah Phipps d. 1848
J.T. Gilman Pier??? d. 1870
James Place d. 1870, photo 2
Frank W. Rand d. 1893. Before gravestone repair
Margaret Wood Rand d. 18?7. Before gravestone resetting
William Rand d. 1864 Before gravestone resetting. "grocer, 3 Ceres & 1 South Church place, h. 4 Manning." (ref.)
George Raynes d. 1855, a highly successful builder of clipper ships, including the Sea Serpent and the Witch of the Wave. "ship builder, ship  yard,  foot Short, h. 46 Vaughan." (ref.)
Annie Richardson d. 18??. Before gravestone restoration.
Catherine S. Robinson, stone 2 d. 1901, photo 2
John Smith Robinson, stone 2 d. 1859, photo 2
Anne Marsh Rogers d. 18??
Frederick William Rogers d. 1837
Frederick W. Rogers d. 1894
George H. Rogers, stone 2 d. 1864, "manufacturer of brick, foot Jackson hill st." (ref.)
John Rugg Rogers d. 1848
Sophronia L. Rogers d. 1885
Susan P. Rogers d. 1885
Susie P. Rogers d. 1866
John Rugg d. 1834
Susan E. Rymes d. 1885
William Rymes d. 1854, "whitesmith & blacksmith, 22 Bow, h, 38 Bow." (ref.)
Alexander T. Sand d. 1893
William G. Seaward d. 1825
Eliza Sheldon d. 1848
Emily Treat Sheldon
d. 1856
Abraham Staples d. 1883
Sarah Staples d. 1881
John Stavers d. 1908
Harriet Tarleton, photo 2, d. 1850
Capt. James Tarleton d. 1816, drowned at sea.
John H. Torr d. 1847
Jonathan H. Torr d. 1881
Sarah McDuffee Torr d. 1878
Ann P. Treadwell d. 1903
Ann Passmore Treadwell, stone 2 d. 1855, photo 2
Lydia Greenough Treadwell, stone 2 d. 1872, photo 2
Thomas Treadwell, stone 2 d. 1860, "grocer, 30 Congress, h. 32 do." (ref.)
Thomas P. Treadwell, stone 2 d. 1878, photo 2, "grocer, 2 Bow, h. 12 Ladd." (ref.)
William P. Treadwell, stone 2 d. 1860, photo 2, "cabinet maker, bds. 32 Congress." (ref.)
Hall Varrell d. 1877, "(firm Bartlett & Varrell) h. 8 Hanover.", "Bartlett (John H.)  & Varrell (Hall) coopers, 39 Pier buildings, B's h. 11 Ladd." Business partners in life, their family burial plots are side by side. (ref.)
Nancy W. Varrell d. 1880
Annie Waldron
Daniel Waldron d. 1845, photo 2
Dearborn Waldron
Edmonds Waldron
Willie Waldron
Eliza W. Warren d. 1883
Ann Weymouth d. 1875
Clarrissa L. White d. 1854
Frank Herbert White d. 1877, before gravestone resetting, 2
James W. White d. 1875, "ship  carpenter at Raynes', h. 5 North." (ref.)

More History in Portsmouth to Visit

Historic Sites Around Portsmouth Gallery

Benedict House Also known as Thomas W. Penhallow House
30 Middle St.
a Jonathan Folsom building. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.


Black Heritage Trail
walking tour through the downtown area
Stops all over downtown at locations important to the early Portsmouth Black cultural history, extending back to the 1600's when the first slaves were brought here. For all the stops, visit SeacoastNH.com

Daniel Pinkham House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Federal style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1815.

Daniel Webster House
Hancock Street
Exterior viewing only. Daniel Webster lived in 3 different homes in Portsmouth. This is the last survivor, and is now part of the Strawbery Banke Museum.

Fort Washington
Peirce's Island
built in 1775 under orders of Major General John Sullivan, overall commander of the Portsmouth harbor defenses, to command the Piscataqua River at "the Narrows" and to provide crossfire with Fort Sullivan directly across the river on Seavey's Island.

Franklin Block
75 Congress St.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

General Porter House Also known as Matthew Livermore House
32--34 Livermore St.
Georgian style. Private residence. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Once home to General John Fitz-Porter, a Civil War hero.

George Rogers House
76 Northwest St.
Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Hart-Rice House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Georgian style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1756 by Samuel Hart.

Haven--White House Also known as Joseph Haven House
229 Pleasant St.
Federal style. Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Henry Sherburne House Also known as Richard Shortridge House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Georgian style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Isles of Shoals
Some islands located in Maine, some in New Hampshire 10 miles off the coast of Kittery/Portsmouth/Rye. Tours to and around the island are available in Portsmouth, Rye, & Newburyport.
Starting as a fishing community in the 16th century, and later a resort community popular during the Victorian era, it's most famous residents are Samuel Haley, the Smuttynose Murder victims and writer Celia Thaxter. More information and history.

Jabez Fitch House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Built in 1725 by members of the North Church for their new minister.

James Neal House
74 Deer St.
Federal style. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Jeremiah Hart House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Georgian style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1800.

John Hart House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Georgian style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.


Gov. John Langdon Mansion

143 Pleasant St.
Built 1784. John Langdon rose from modest origins to become a merchant, shipbuilder, Revolutionary leader, signer of the United States Constitution, and three-term governor of New Hampshire. His opulent home is now a museum and a beautiful example of New England architecture. Open: June 1 through October 15 Friday through Sunday. Tours at 11 a.m., noon, 1 p.m., 2 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4 p.m.


John Paul Jones House
Also known as Purcell--Jones--Langdon House
43 Middle and State Sts.
Built 1758. Once home to John Paul Jones, father of the American Navy, now a museum and home to the Portsmouth Historical Society. Open June 1 - mid-October, 10-4 pm, Sun 12-4. Closed Tues & Wed. More on John Paul Jones.

Gov. John Wentworth House Also known as John Fisher House
346 Pleasant St.
Georgian style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Once home to the second and last Royal governor of New Hampshire, 1767-1775 who fled the colonies in 1775 with the passing of the Townsend Acts.

Joshua Wentworth House
119 Hanover St.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Larkin--Rice House
180 Middle St.
Private residence. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Liberty Pole
Marcy St., Prescott Park
Erected in 1913 to mark the spot where on January 9, 1766, the "Sons of Liberty" of Portsmouth placed the first "No Stamp Flag" raised in the American Colonies.

MacPheadris--Warner House Also known as The Warner House
Chapel and Daniel Sts.
Built 1716. Georgian style home is the earliest brick urban mansion in New England. It features the oldest colonial wall painting still in place in the United States. Now a museum, open June 1 to October 31.


Moffatt--Ladd House
Also known as William Whipple House
154 Market St.
Built in 1763 by Capt. John Moffatt for his son Samuel, this was once home to William Whipple, general during the Revolutionary War and signer of the Declaration of Independence. Open June 15 through October 15, Monday through Saturday :  11:00 a.m.--5:00 p.m. (last tour is at 4:30 p.m.) Sunday :  1:00 p.m.--5:00 p.m. (last tour is at 4:30 p.m.) Group tours by appointment. School tours by appointment. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

New Hampshire Bank Building Also known as Portsmouth Savings Bank; First National Bank Building
22--26 Market Sq.
Architect: Eliphalet Ladd. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.


North Church
Market Square
First organized in 1671, the present structure was rebuilt in 1855. Some notable worshippers during its long history: General William Whipple, signer of the Declaration of Independence, John Langdon, signer of the U.S. Constitution, Daniel Webster, John Paul Jones, and President George Washington.

Nutter--Rymes House
48 School St.
Federal style, James Nutter architect. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Originally built in 1810. The house has what was an arched carriage way dividing it and was designed by architect James Nutter. It's now home to the Blue Mermaid Island Grill.

Phoebe Hart House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Federal style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Built in in 1812.

The Pearl of Portsmouth Also known as Freewill Baptist Church--Peoples Baptist Church--New Hope Church
45 Pearl St.
Italianate church that was the first Black church in Portsmouth. Martin Luther King spoke here in 1952 and his future wife, Coretta Scott was a solo in the choir. More about the Pearl. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Portsmouth Athenaeum
9 Market Sq.
A non-profit membership library and museum, incorporated in 1817. Open to the public Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from 1-4 p.m.

Portsmouth Cottage Hospital
Junkins Ave., S side of South Mill Pond
Colonial Revival. Architects Robert Coit, Harry B. Ball. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Portsmouth Garrisons

Portsmouth Parade Historic District
Along Deer and High Sts.
Federal style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Portsmouth Plains Powder House
Islington St.
built in 1811

Portsmouth Public Library Also known as Portsmouth Academy
8 Islington St.
Architect James Nutter. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.


Prescott Park
Marcy St.
Once Portsmouth's red light district, this street was lined with brothels until the Prescott Sisters came along. They razed all but one of the brothels and built this beautiful riverside park.

Richard Jackson House
Northwest St.
Built 1660. Colonial home, now a museum. Open: June through October, First Saturday of the month. Tours at 11 a.m., noon, 1 p.m., 2 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4 p.m.

Rockingham Hotel
401 State St.
Colonial Revival. Once owned by brewer/politician Frank Jones. Now condos and the Library Restaurant on the first floor. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Rundlet--May House
364 Middle St
Built 1807. Federal style. Now a museum, open: June through October, First Saturday of the month. Tours at 11 a.m., noon, 1 p.m., 2 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4 p.m.

Samuel Beck House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Federal style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Built ca. 1760.

Samuel Gerrish House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Built in 1822 by architect James Nutter.

Shapley Town House Also known as Reuben Shapley House
454--456 Court St.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Now part of the Strawbery Banke Museum.


Sheafe Warehouse

Prescott Park
Built in 1705 for Thomas Sheafe, a local shipping merchant. It's now home to the Folk Art Museum.

Simeon P. Smith House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Federal style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.


South End Historic District

Marcy st., Rte. 1B to New Castle and all cross streets
This historic neighborhood is chock full of antique homes. Makes a great walk. Start at Prescott Park and make your way south towards New Castle.

South Meetinghouse
Marcy St. and Meeting House Hill
Italianate, Greek Revival style, completed in 1866. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

South Parish Also known as South Unitarian Universalist Church
292 State St.
Early Republic style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Built 1824-26 possibly by Jonathan Folsom.


St. John's Church
Also known as Queen's Chapel
105 Chapel St.
Built in 1736. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Features the oldest operative pipe organ in the United States, a marble baptismal font which was a prize of war captured from the French at Senegal and presented to the church in 1761, a Book of Common Prayer published by John Baskett, London, England, 1739, and an early churchyard.


Strawberry Banke Museum

Bounded by Court and Marcy Sts. and both sides of Hancock and Washington Sts.
The earliest settlement in Portsmouth, this once nearly destroyed neighborhood is now a large museum featuring over 30 historic homes and buildings.
Self-Guiding Season, May 1 through October 31
: Open seven days a week. Monday through Saturday 10am to 5pm. Sunday, Noon to 5pm.
Guided Tour Season, November through April : Weekends, Christmas and Thanksgiving weeks. Saturdays, 10am-2pm. Sundays, noon-2pm. On the hour. Along with many events throughout the year.

Sugar Warehouse
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Used to store sugar from which rum was made, the warehouse was originally built for commercial purposes in 1780.

Tobias Lear House
Mechanic and Gardner Sts.
Birthplace of Tobias Lear, secretary to George Washington and home to the Lear family. Open Wednesdays in summer 1-4pm and by appointment. More information.

USS ALBACORE, Portsmouth Maritime Museum
600 Market St.
Tour a real life submarine. Built in Portsmouth, the USS Albacore served as the prototype for today's modern submarine fleet. Open Memorial Day-Columbus Day, 9:30am-5pm daily; Winter, 9:30am-4pm, closed Tues. & Wed.

Wentworth--Coolidge Mansion Also known as Benning Wentworth Mansion
375 Little Harbor Road
Built ca. 1750. Once the home of NH's first royal governor. Open mid-May through Labor Day, Wednesdays through Saturdays from 10:00am till 3:00pm (last tour at 2:00pm), and Sundays from 1:00pm till 5:00pm (last tour at 3:45pm). Listed on National Register of Historic Places.


Wentworth--Gardner House

140 Mechanic St.
Built c.1760 for Thomas Wentworth, brother of John Wentworth, the last royal governor of New Hampshire by his father Mark Hunking Wentworth, a prominent Portsmouth merchant. Open Tuesdays through Sundays 1-4pm
June - mid-October. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.More about the house.

Whidden-Ward House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Georgian style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1720.

Visit SeacoastNH.com for more Portsmouth history

If you know of an historic place to visit in Portsmouth, please submit it to jenn@gravematter.com


Find more museums in New Hampshire


Home | Burying Grounds | About This | Interesting Carvings | Quick Tidbits | Epitaphs | Blog | Contact, Sponsorships & Requests

All photographs and content Copyright © 2002 - <%=Year(Date)%> Jenn Marcelais (except where specified).
a Soul Oyster Web Studios production. web, design, seo & internet marketing services.