Donate to help this project

This website focuses on photographs and documenting the gravestones of local Maine, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire history and genealogy of early ancestors who settled New England, and gravestone artistry. It's also completely a volunteer effort by a very small amount of people. Your contributions help keep this site growing. Please consider a donation if you've found anything interesting here.

These photos are never allowed to be copied or posted to other websites without permission.
Read the copyright notice before copying any photos or information off this site.

A Very Grave Matter on Facebook
Burying Grounds | About This Project | Interesting Carvings | Soul Effigies & Angels | Quick Tidbits | Epitaphs | Blog | Contact
Headstones, Colonial, Revolutionary War, Vital Records, Epitaphs, Epitaph, Historical, photos, photography, photographs, pictures, tombstone art, 17th century, 18th century, 16th century
 

Burying Grounds, Cemeteries, Gravestones & History of Portsmouth, New Hampshire

Cemeteries & History of Portsmouth, New Hampshire

Point of Graves is found on Mechanic St. across from Strawbery Banke and next to Prescott Park. See it's location and get directions at Yahoo Maps.
Cemetery Status: Very Good. Grounds are well kept and there are no broken stones.

The South Street Cemetery is comprised of 4-5 different cemeteries including Proprietor's Cemetery, Elmwood Cemetery, Sagamore Cemetery, Harmony Grove Cemetery and Cotton Burial Ground and is on South St. and Sagamore Ave. There are currently 57 entries for this cemetery.

Cemetery Status: Poor. Grounds are kept but there are many broken stones.

*Sorry for the broken links. They'll get fixed someday :(

Portsmouth - Point of Graves Burying Ground

View entire gallery

Benjamin Allcock d. 1730
Hannah Ayers (Ayrs) d. 1718
Sarah Ayers d. 1827
Mary Blagdon d. 1735
William Button d. 1693, an extremely unique and elaboratly carved puritan-era gravestone.
Mary Cameron d. 1720
John Clark d. 1694
John Dennett, Esq. d. 1709
Elizabeth Elatson d. 1794, died a few weeks after suffering in a fire that consumed her son-in-law Rev. Nathaniel Rogers' house.
Elizabeth Frost d. 1696
Capt. Jethro Furber d. 1738
Margaret Gardner d. 1723
Mehitable Gerrish d. 1715
John Hoddy d. 1684
Anna Huntress d. 1847, age 98.
Capt. Joshua Lang Huntress d. 1802, master at arms on the Ranger commanded by John Paul Jones. (Revolutionary War)
Mary Ingraham d. 1720
John Jackson d. 1690/1
Mary Jackson d. 1763
Anne Jaffrey d. 1682
Richard Jose d. 1707
Mary Hoddy Keais d. 1711
Mehitable Langdon d. 1762
Elizabeth Lear d. 1774
Sarah Loud d. 1738
Sarah Macphaedris/Macpheadris d. 1719
Mary March d. 1759
Nathaniel Marshall, Esq. d. 1812
Obadiah Marshall d. 1746
Jane Meserve d. 1747, wife of Col. Nathaniel Meserve who once had a home and shipyard near the bridge on what is now Maplewood Ave., that produced the ship "America" and many others. He also was a Colonel in the French and Indian War and at the Seige of Louisberg, where he saved the cause from disaster by constructing sledges to pull the cannon through the wilderness.
John Moulton d. 1719
Lucey Moulton d. 1733
Nathaniel Nelson d. 1846
Nehemiah Partridge d. 1709
William Partridge d. 1718, a shipwright and early
Elizabeth Peirce d. 1717
Elizabeth Peirce d. 1732
Thomas Phipps d. 1712
Elizabeth Pike d. 1719/20
John Plaisted d. 1712
Sarah Redford d. 1695
Elizabeth Rogers d. 1794
John Rogers d. 1719
Sarah Sargent d. 1771
Eleanor Shackford d. 1804
John Shackford d. 1778
Abraham Shaw d. 1817
Elizabeth Shaw d. 1825
John Simes d. 1725
Joseph Small d. 1720
Elizabeth Eliot Vaughan d. 1750
Lt. Governor George Vaughan d. 1724, Justice of Common Pleas and Governor of New Hampshire.
Lt. Col. William Vaughan d. 1746, first suggested and led troops in the Seige of Louisbourg. (French & Indian War.
William Vaughan d. 1719
Elizabeth Waterhouse d. 1736
Samuel Waterhouse d. 1744/45
Lyddia Webber d. 1721
Richard Webber d. 1720

Portsmouth - South Street Cemetery

View entire gallery (more photos uploaded than transcribed.)

Elizabeth Penhallow ??
Susanna Penhallow ??
Joseph B. Adams d. 1874
Margaret Adams d. 1875
Jonathan Ayers d. 1829
Elias Ayers d. 1887
Sarah Ayers d. 1883
George Bilbruck d. 1894, photo 2, second stone
James Bilbruck d. 1836
Mary Brooks Bilbruck d. 1873, photo 2, second stone
Mary Abbie Blaisell d. 1914
Uriah Blaisell d. 1883
Langley Boardman d. 1831
Ann Maria Branigan d. 1889
Anna T. Branigan d. 1850
Ella Branigan d. 1856
Thomas A. Branigan d. 1852
Thomas A. Branigan d. 1888
Catharine Brown d. 1881
Kate E. Evans Brown d. 1898
Susan F. Brown d. 1856
Louisa Clifford d. 1871
Newell Clifford d. 1866
Hannah Cutt d. 1677, wife of John Cutt who owned one of the first saw mills, grist mills and corn mills in town and was also a selectman and New Hampshire's first "President".
Sarah Dale d. 1867
Sally Dame
William Dame
Dr. Alfred Sandford Dana d. 1901
Charles P. Dana d. 1880
Katherine Amelia Chidsey Dana d. 1905
Maj. General Napoleon Jackson Tecumseh Dana d. 1905, attended West Point, Lt. during the Mexican War, Major General during the Civil War. As brigadier-general in Feb., 1862, he, commanded a brigade in Gen. Sedgwick's division at Antietam, where he was wounded so severely he was carried off the field for dead.
second photo
Sue Lewis Sandford Dana d. 1904
Mary Haliburton Jenness De Garmendia d. 1923, second stone, back of stone
Robert Detavour
Charles Ellsworth d. 1908
Eva Rundlett Ellsworth d. 1904
Rev. John Emerson d. 1731, pastor of the South Church of Portsmouth and once minister at New Castle. He was once " handsomely noticed by Queen Anne" while in London.
Ruth Emerson d. 1721
Addie B. Emery d. 1871
Robert E. Emery d. 1871
George E. Evans d. 1855
Mary Furber Evans d. 1864
Maria Ferguson d. 1872
Lee Howard Fisher d. 1891
Mary Elizabeth Fisher d. 1948
John H. Foster d. 1881
Charles S. Frye d. 1890
Charlotte E. Frye d. 1933
Arthur Edminston Frye d. 1875
Harry Ashton Frye d. 1882
Horace E. Frye d. 1923
Jennie Louise Frye d. 1878
Hon. Mary Gambling d. 1764
Hon. Benjamin Gambling, Esq. d. 1757, a member of His Majesty's Council
in the Province of New Hampshire
and Judge of the Probate of Wills

Benjamin Gambling d. 1744
Georgia A. Lowe Gordon d. 1906
Alice Hall d. 1848
Sarah E. Rundlett Hall d. 1901
William Hall d. 1855
Annie M. Evans Hartshorn d. 1903
Eliza Wentworth Haven d. 1814
Joseph Haven d. 1829, his home is located at 229 Pleasant St. and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Sarah A. Haven d. 1838
Albert Hayes d. 1886
Ann M. Rundlett Hayes d. 1879
Ella M. Rowe Henderson d. 1894
Almyrac Hill d. 1884
Ann Louisa Hill
George C. Hill d. 1894
Eddie Abbott Hill
Eliza Ann Hill d. 1863
Eunice Hill d. 1831
John Hill d. 1813
Lizzie Francis Hill
Mary E. Hill d. 1903
Elizabeth Jane Homer d. 1839
Mary L. Hones d. 1892
Sarah Hones d. 1860
Thomas N. Hones d. 1872
Edward R. Janvrin d. 1892
Ellen M. Janvrin d. 1886
James Janvrin d. 1896
Mary E. Janvrin d. 1890
Caroline Jenness d. 1857
Caroline McC. Jenness d. 1892
John S. Jenness d. 1879
Peter Jenness
Richard Jenness d. 1872
Edward L. Jones d. 1897
Frank Jones d. 1902, ale tycoon, owner of the Wentworth by the Sea and Rockingham Hotels, Mayor of Portsmouth and NH Congressman, just to name a few. View the full monument, the tallest in this cemetery.
Hiram Jones d. 1859
Martha S. Jones d. 1913
Edward Thompson Kimball d. 1920
Edward Payson Kimball d. 1910
Maude Berry Kimball d. 1961
Martha J. Thompson Kimball d. 1934
Martha Smith Kimball d. 1967
William Knight d. 1730
James Laighton d. 1811, Master of the Brig Sally and lost at sea.
Mary Deering Page Laighton d. 1874
Louisa C. Leavitt d. 1897
Charles Edward Long d. 1821, near Havanna Cuba.
George Long jr. d. 1812, at Havanna Cuba.
George Long esq. d. 1849
Marcy Long d. 1822
Marcy Elizabeth Long d. 1897
Mary Long
Col. Pierse Long, Revolutionary War Colonel of the 1st NH Regiment, brigadier general, delegate to the Continental Congress, NH state councilor, delegate at the state constitutional convention which ratified the Federal Constitution, and customs collector for the port of Portsmouth.
Samuel Pierse Long d. 1879
Ann Olivia Lowe d. 1838
Rev. Charles Lowe d. 1874
John Lowe Jr. d. 18??
? March d. 1902
Harriet C. March d. 1849
Lucy E. March d. 1874
Olive March d. 1837
Sarah Ann H. Lowe
Nathaniel B. March d. 1862
Nathaniel March d. 1846
Sarah H. March d. 1844
George M. Marsters d. 1937
Rev. John Marshall Marsters d. 1907
Maria F. Lowe Marsters d. 1914
Gladys Smyth May d. 1986
James Rundlet May d. 1918
Mary Morison Mayet d. 1936
Ralph May d. 1973, great grandson of James Rundlet and donator of the Rundlet-May House.
John Mendum
Clara Harlowe Moses d. 1864
James Moses d. 1887
Louisa A. Philbrook Moses d. 1907
John W. Newell d. 1931
Flora Odion d. 1880
George Langdon Odion d. 18??
Mary Odion d. 1857
Mary Odion d. 1877
Thomas Odion d. 18??
Pastor Nathan Parker D.D. d. 1833, pastor of the South Church.
General Charles H. Peaslee d. 1866, US Army General in the Mexican War, NH Congressman, collector of the port of Boston.
Mary Langdon Peaslee d. 1868
?? Penhallow
Benjamin Penhallow
Elizabeth Penhallow
Elizabeth Penhallow d. 1736/37
Hannah Penhallow
John Penhallow
Joseph Penhallow d. ????
Joseph Penhallow d. ????
Mary Penhallow
Mary Penhallow d. 1713
Samuel Penhallow
Honorable Samuel Penhallow d. 1729, born at St. Mabon, Cornwall, England and Governor of the province of New Hampshire.
James H. Pratt d. 1893
Margaret L. Pratt d. 1876
Caroline Henderson Priest d. 1870
Effie Wendell Priest d. 1873
Elizabeth Wendell Priest d. 1912
True W. Priest d. 1909
Daniel Proctor d. 1918
Georgie A. Proctor d. 1910
Lewis M. Proctor d. 1899
Elizabeth M. Randall d. 1874
Joseph ??? Randall d. 18??
Mary Elizabeth Randall d. 18??
Mary Elizabeth Randall d. 18??
Reuben S. Randall d. 1862
William Randall d. 1864
Edwin Rider d. 1900
Joseph Rider d. 1900
Gustavus V. Rowe d. 1870
Mary E. Rowe d. 18??
Alfred Rundlet d. 1851
Edward Rundlet d. 1805
Elizabeth Rundlet d. 1810
Frances Matilda Rundlet d. 1831
George Rundlet d. 1830
Harriet Rundlet d. 1840
James Rundlet d. 1819, textile merchant and once owner of the Rundlet-May house, now a museum on Middle St.
Jane Rundlet d. 1819
John Rundlet d. 1836
William Rundlet d. 1846
Andrew J. Rundlett d. 1854, a sailor who's vessel was lost at sea.
Charles H. Rundlett d. 18??
Edward J. Rundlett d. 1882
Edwin B. Rundlett d. 1889
Frank P. Rundlett d. 1898
George W. Rundlett d. 1906
Gideon H. Rundlett d. 1897
James M. Rundlett d. 1893
Joseph T. Rundlett d. 1815
Lucy M. Bennett Rundlett d. 1885
Olive Huntress Rundlett d. 1859
William Rundlett d. 1873
Charlotte Salter d. 1899
Nancy Salter d. 1825
Titus Salter d. 1840
Abigail C. Senter d. 1812
Emeline Dodge Senter d. 1900
Frances Ann Senter d. 1826
Timothy Gerrish Senter d. 1817
William Senter d. 1827, a furniture maker who built many pieces now seen in the Rundlet-May house and the Moffat-Ladd house.
Ann Hart Simes, photo 2, d. 1802
Ellen Simes d. 1842
Ellen Simes d. 1842
George Simes d. 1798, master of the ship Charlotte, lost near the island of Ameland.
George Simes d. 1842
Hannah Jackson Simes , photo 2, d. bef. 1756
James Thomas Simes d. 1867
John Simes, photo 2, d. 1735-40, once had a dry goods store out of his home on Market St.
Joseph S. Simes d. 1884
Joseph Simes, photo 2, d. 1779, Chairman of the Selectmen of Portsmouth in 1776, and a highly esteemed citizen
Laura Simes d. 1849
Mary Brown Libbey Simes d. 1867
Nancy Simes d. 1842
Olivia Simes d. 1810
Olive Bourn Simes d. 1871
Robert Simes d. 1901
Thomas Simes d. 1824, lost at sea.
William Simes d. 1880
? Sise d. 1836
Amy Fleetford Sise d. 1872
Ann Mary Sise d. 18??
Clara Sise d. 1863, wife of Charles Fleetford Sise who is credited with being the founder of the National Bell Telephone Company in Canada.
Clara Bunker Sise d. 1872
Edward F. Sise d. 1865
Edward H. Sise d. 1911
Joseph T. Sise d. 1894
Lydia Sloper d. 1718, wife of a sea captain.
Sgt. Robert Small d. 1867, Sargent of Marines
Lydia Penhallow Storer d. 1???
Samuel Storer d. 1815
Doris Elizabeth Sykes d. 1900
Grace E. Taylor d. 1907
Mary Abbie Thompson d. 1922
Frances Trafton d. 1872
James T. Trafton d. 1919
John W. Trafton d. 1887
Elbridge Treat d. 18??
Elizabeth Treat d. 18?5
Lydia Treat d. 1821
Samuel Treat d. 1862
George Arthur Trundy d. 1873
Abbie W. Tucker d. 1887
Mark Tucker d. 1858
Mark W. Tucker d. 1863, private Company K, 16th Infantry Regiment NH, Civil War, died of disease while in Louisiana.
Edward S. Wendell d. 1873
Elizabeth Hovey Wendell d. 1880
Frank C. Wendell d. 1892
Frederick S. Wendell d. 1920
Helen M . Wendell d. 1919
Horace Usher Wendell d. 1842
Jacob Wendell d. 1865
Maria E. Wendell d. 1847
Mary J . Wendell d. 1928
Mehetable Rindge Rogers Wendell d. 1859
William Thompson Wendell d. 1847
Harriet Whidden d. 1827
General Amiel Weeks Whipple d. 1863, Major US Army Corps of Engineers Third Division, Third Corps of the Potomac, Mortally Wounded at Chancellorsville, Va (Civil War.)
Eleanor Whipple
Jerry Page Whipple d. 1855
Julia Whipple d. 1903
Annie Williams d. 1863
Fannie Williams
Hope Williams
Kate Williams
Mary Maria Williams d. 1862
Lucy P. Evans Wilson d. 1894
Gov. Levi Woodbury d. 1851, Judge of the Superior Court, Governor, speaker of the House of Representatives of NH, Secretary of the Navy, Secretary of the Treasury, Senator, Justice of the Supreme Court. Bust carving of him on his grave obelisk
Charles Levi Woodbury d. 1898

More History in Portsmouth to Visit

Historic Sites Around Portsmouth Gallery

Benedict House Also known as Thomas W. Penhallow House
30 Middle St.
a Jonathan Folsom building. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.


Black Heritage Trail
walking tour through the downtown area
Stops all over downtown at locations important to the early Portsmouth Black cultural history, extending back to the 1600's when the first slaves were brought here. For all the stops, visit SeacoastNH.com

Daniel Pinkham House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Federal style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1815.

Daniel Webster House
Hancock Street
Exterior viewing only. Daniel Webster lived in 3 different homes in Portsmouth. This is the last survivor, and is now part of the Strawbery Banke Museum.

Fort Washington
Peirce's Island
built in 1775 under orders of Major General John Sullivan, overall commander of the Portsmouth harbor defenses, to command the Piscataqua River at "the Narrows" and to provide crossfire with Fort Sullivan directly across the river on Seavey's Island.

Franklin Block
75 Congress St.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

General Porter House Also known as Matthew Livermore House
32--34 Livermore St.
Georgian style. Private residence. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Once home to General John Fitz-Porter, a Civil War hero.

George Rogers House
76 Northwest St.
Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Hart-Rice House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Georgian style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1756 by Samuel Hart.

Haven--White House Also known as Joseph Haven House
229 Pleasant St.
Federal style. Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Henry Sherburne House Also known as Richard Shortridge House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Georgian style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Isles of Shoals
Some islands located in Maine, some in New Hampshire 10 miles off the coast of Kittery/Portsmouth/Rye. Tours to and around the island are available in Portsmouth, Rye, & Newburyport.
Starting as a fishing community in the 16th century, and later a resort community popular during the Victorian era, it's most famous residents are Samuel Haley, the Smuttynose Murder victims and writer Celia Thaxter. More information and history.

Jabez Fitch House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Built in 1725 by members of the North Church for their new minister.

James Neal House
74 Deer St.
Federal style. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Jeremiah Hart House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Georgian style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1800.

John Hart House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Georgian style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.


Gov. John Langdon Mansion

143 Pleasant St.
Built 1784. John Langdon rose from modest origins to become a merchant, shipbuilder, Revolutionary leader, signer of the United States Constitution, and three-term governor of New Hampshire. His opulent home is now a museum and a beautiful example of New England architecture. Open: June 1 through October 15 Friday through Sunday. Tours at 11 a.m., noon, 1 p.m., 2 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4 p.m.


John Paul Jones House
Also known as Purcell--Jones--Langdon House
43 Middle and State Sts.
Built 1758. Once home to John Paul Jones, father of the American Navy, now a museum and home to the Portsmouth Historical Society. Open June 1 - mid-October, 10-4 pm, Sun 12-4. Closed Tues & Wed. More on John Paul Jones.

Gov. John Wentworth House Also known as John Fisher House
346 Pleasant St.
Georgian style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Once home to the second and last Royal governor of New Hampshire, 1767-1775 who fled the colonies in 1775 with the passing of the Townsend Acts.

Joshua Wentworth House
119 Hanover St.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Larkin--Rice House
180 Middle St.
Private residence. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Liberty Pole
Marcy St., Prescott Park
Erected in 1913 to mark the spot where on January 9, 1766, the "Sons of Liberty" of Portsmouth placed the first "No Stamp Flag" raised in the American Colonies.

MacPheadris--Warner House Also known as The Warner House
Chapel and Daniel Sts.
Built 1716. Georgian style home is the earliest brick urban mansion in New England. It features the oldest colonial wall painting still in place in the United States. Now a museum, open June 1 to October 31.


Moffatt--Ladd House
Also known as William Whipple House
154 Market St.
Built in 1763 by Capt. John Moffatt for his son Samuel, this was once home to William Whipple, general during the Revolutionary War and signer of the Declaration of Independence. Open June 15 through October 15, Monday through Saturday :  11:00 a.m.--5:00 p.m. (last tour is at 4:30 p.m.) Sunday :  1:00 p.m.--5:00 p.m. (last tour is at 4:30 p.m.) Group tours by appointment. School tours by appointment. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

New Hampshire Bank Building Also known as Portsmouth Savings Bank; First National Bank Building
22--26 Market Sq.
Architect: Eliphalet Ladd. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.


North Church
Market Square
First organized in 1671, the present structure was rebuilt in 1855. Some notable worshippers during its long history: General William Whipple, signer of the Declaration of Independence, John Langdon, signer of the U.S. Constitution, Daniel Webster, John Paul Jones, and President George Washington.

Nutter--Rymes House
48 School St.
Federal style, James Nutter architect. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Originally built in 1810. The house has what was an arched carriage way dividing it and was designed by architect James Nutter. It's now home to the Blue Mermaid Island Grill.

Phoebe Hart House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Federal style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Built in in 1812.

The Pearl of Portsmouth Also known as Freewill Baptist Church--Peoples Baptist Church--New Hope Church
45 Pearl St.
Italianate church that was the first Black church in Portsmouth. Martin Luther King spoke here in 1952 and his future wife, Coretta Scott was a solo in the choir. More about the Pearl. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Portsmouth Athenaeum
9 Market Sq.
A non-profit membership library and museum, incorporated in 1817. Open to the public Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from 1-4 p.m.

Portsmouth Cottage Hospital
Junkins Ave., S side of South Mill Pond
Colonial Revival. Architects Robert Coit, Harry B. Ball. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Portsmouth Garrisons

Portsmouth Parade Historic District
Along Deer and High Sts.
Federal style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Portsmouth Plains Powder House
Islington St.
built in 1811

Portsmouth Public Library Also known as Portsmouth Academy
8 Islington St.
Architect James Nutter. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.


Prescott Park
Marcy St.
Once Portsmouth's red light district, this street was lined with brothels until the Prescott Sisters came along. They razed all but one of the brothels and built this beautiful riverside park.

Richard Jackson House
Northwest St.
Built 1660. Colonial home, now a museum. Open: June through October, First Saturday of the month. Tours at 11 a.m., noon, 1 p.m., 2 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4 p.m.

Rockingham Hotel
401 State St.
Colonial Revival. Once owned by brewer/politician Frank Jones. Now condos and the Library Restaurant on the first floor. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Rundlet--May House
364 Middle St
Built 1807. Federal style. Now a museum, open: June through October, First Saturday of the month. Tours at 11 a.m., noon, 1 p.m., 2 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4 p.m.

Samuel Beck House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Federal style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Built ca. 1760.

Samuel Gerrish House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Built in 1822 by architect James Nutter.

Shapley Town House Also known as Reuben Shapley House
454--456 Court St.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Now part of the Strawbery Banke Museum.


Sheafe Warehouse

Prescott Park
Built in 1705 for Thomas Sheafe, a local shipping merchant. It's now home to the Folk Art Museum.

Simeon P. Smith House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Federal style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.


South End Historic District

Marcy st., Rte. 1B to New Castle and all cross streets
This historic neighborhood is chock full of antique homes. Makes a great walk. Start at Prescott Park and make your way south towards New Castle.

South Meetinghouse
Marcy St. and Meeting House Hill
Italianate, Greek Revival style, completed in 1866. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

South Parish Also known as South Unitarian Universalist Church
292 State St.
Early Republic style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Built 1824-26 possibly by Jonathan Folsom.


St. John's Church
Also known as Queen's Chapel
105 Chapel St.
Built in 1736. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Features the oldest operative pipe organ in the United States, a marble baptismal font which was a prize of war captured from the French at Senegal and presented to the church in 1761, a Book of Common Prayer published by John Baskett, London, England, 1739, and an early churchyard.


Strawberry Banke Museum

Bounded by Court and Marcy Sts. and both sides of Hancock and Washington Sts.
The earliest settlement in Portsmouth, this once nearly destroyed neighborhood is now a large museum featuring over 30 historic homes and buildings.
Self-Guiding Season, May 1 through October 31
: Open seven days a week. Monday through Saturday 10am to 5pm. Sunday, Noon to 5pm.
Guided Tour Season, November through April : Weekends, Christmas and Thanksgiving weeks. Saturdays, 10am-2pm. Sundays, noon-2pm. On the hour. Along with many events throughout the year.

Sugar Warehouse
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Used to store sugar from which rum was made, the warehouse was originally built for commercial purposes in 1780.

Tobias Lear House
Mechanic and Gardner Sts.
Birthplace of Tobias Lear, secretary to George Washington and home to the Lear family. Open Wednesdays in summer 1-4pm and by appointment. More information.

USS ALBACORE, Portsmouth Maritime Museum
600 Market St.
Tour a real life submarine. Built in Portsmouth, the USS Albacore served as the prototype for today's modern submarine fleet. Open Memorial Day-Columbus Day, 9:30am-5pm daily; Winter, 9:30am-4pm, closed Tues. & Wed.

Wentworth--Coolidge Mansion Also known as Benning Wentworth Mansion
375 Little Harbor Road
Built ca. 1750. Once the home of NH's first royal governor. Open mid-May through Labor Day, Wednesdays through Saturdays from 10:00am till 3:00pm (last tour at 2:00pm), and Sundays from 1:00pm till 5:00pm (last tour at 3:45pm). Listed on National Register of Historic Places.


Wentworth--Gardner House

140 Mechanic St.
Built c.1760 for Thomas Wentworth, brother of John Wentworth, the last royal governor of New Hampshire by his father Mark Hunking Wentworth, a prominent Portsmouth merchant. Open Tuesdays through Sundays 1-4pm
June - mid-October. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.More about the house.

Whidden-Ward House
The Hill (corner of Deer & High St.s)
Georgian style. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1720.

Visit SeacoastNH.com for more Portsmouth history

If you know of an historic place to visit in Portsmouth, please submit it to jenn@gravematter.com


Find more museums in New Hampshire


Home | Burying Grounds | About This | Interesting Carvings | Quick Tidbits | Epitaphs | Blog | Contact, Sponsorships & Requests

All photographs and content Copyright © 2002 - <%=Year(Date)%> Jenn Marcelais (except where specified).
a Soul Oyster Web Studios production. web, design, seo & internet marketing services.