Donate to help this project

This website focuses on photographs and documenting the gravestones of local Maine, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire history and genealogy of early ancestors who settled New England, and gravestone artistry. It's also completely a volunteer effort by a very small amount of people. Your contributions help keep this site growing. Please consider a donation if you've found anything interesting here.

These photos are never allowed to be copied or posted to other websites without permission.
Read the copyright notice before copying any photos or information off this site.

A Very Grave Matter on Facebook
Burying Grounds | About This Project | Interesting Carvings | Soul Effigies & Angels | Quick Tidbits | Epitaphs | Blog | Contact
Headstones, Colonial, Revolutionary War, Vital Records, Epitaphs, Epitaph, Historical, photos, photography, photographs, pictures, tombstone art, 17th century, 18th century, 16th century
 

Burying Grounds, Cemeteries, Gravestones & History of Newburyport, Massachusetts

Cemeteries & History of Newburyport, Massachusetts

Oak Hill Cemetery was established in 1842 and is located at State and Parker Streets in Newburyport. The best way to get there is to go up State Street and take a right into the entry drive across from Greenleaf Street. The drive winds past a few homes and behind the mausoleum to the entry gate. See it's location and get directions at Yahoo Maps.

Cemetery Status: Good. This is an extremely large cemetery and will take many more visits to complete.

Oak Hill Cemetery est. 1842

 

View entire gallery

Elizabeth Tilton ??? d. 1860
Rev. Doctor John Andrews d. 1842, minister of the First Religious Society of Newburyport and associate of Rev. Thomas Cary.
Margaret Wigglesworth Andrews d. 1837, wife of Rev. Dr. John Andrews and daughter of Rev. Edward Wigglesworth of Cambridge.
Anne Ashby d. 1883, of England.
Elizabeth Terry Ashby d. 1844, of Boston, lies buried in St. Paul's Churchyard.
William Ashby d. 1881, of England.
Agnes A. Aubin d. 1905
Joshua Aubin d. 1867
Mary B. Aubin d. 1880
Mary N . Aubin d. 1908
Philip J. Aubin d. 1876
Sgt. Albert F. Austin, Co. A, 17th Mass Infantry, Civil War.
Bachman Monument, top side, largest and most elaborate monument in the cemetery.
Sarah Clement Bachman d. 1918
Solomon Bachman d. 1898
Abner Bagley d. 1831
John A. Bagley d. 1898
John S. Bagley d. 1890
Katherine C. ??? Bagley d. 18??
Margaret A. Harper Bagley d. 1843
Martha H. Bagley d. 1896
Mary Bagley d. 1884
Sarah Bagley d. 1861
Sarah Morse Bagley d. 1863
Elizabeth Balch d. 1833
John Balch d. 1871
John Balch d. 1885
John Sewall Balch d. 1844, died at Calcutta.
Laura Amelia Balch d. 1885
William B. Bannister d. 1853
Zilpah P. Grant Bannister d. 1874, epitaph, An early women's educator, she was Principal of Adams Female Academy at Derry, N.H. from 1824 to 1827, also Principal of Ipswich Female Seminary School from 1828 to 1839
Betty Bartlet d. 1825
Hon. William Bartlet d. 1841
Sarah Lunt Benedict d. 1881
Achsah Burton Blood d. 1866
James Blood d. 1876
James Henry Blood d. 1830
Susan Phelps Blood d. 1834
Elizabeth N. Boardman d. 1884
Isaac H. Boardman d. 1887, Mayor of Newburyport in 1863 and wealthy merchant.
Elizabeth Wood Bray d. 1855
Isaac Bray d. 1870
Margaret K. Hall Bray d. 1898
Stephen Bray d. 1883
Theophilus Bray d. 1850
Angelina Brown d. 1902
Ellen Theresa Knapp Brown d. 1893
John T. Brownd. 1901
Mary Brown d. 1821
Mary Hall Brown d. 1778
Mary White Brown
Moses Brown d. 1827, epitaph, the second richest man in Newburyport in 1790, Brown Square was named for him. He once owned rum making distillery that sat at the foot of Green Street and had built the Brown Square House now known as the Garrison Inn.
Capt. Samuel Brown, photo 2, d. 1893
Tryphosa Brown, photo 2, d. 1868, a Chebacco Native-American.
Corporal Charles G. Burbank d. 1861, Co. G, 11th Regiment Massachusetts Volunteers, Civil War, died at Bladensburg, MD.
David Burbank, Co. A, 40th Mass Infantry, Civil War.
E. Jennie Burbank d. 18??
Gardner A . Burbank d. 1852
Caroline Bachman Burnhome d. 1942
Clement Mayer Burnhome d. 1972
Florence Fenno Burnhome d. 1937
Mayer S. Burnhome d. 1909
Anna Cushing McKay Burton d. 1885, and infant daughter.
Caroline Carter d. 1942
Mehitable Carter d. 1857
Sarah A. Carter d. 1943
Sarah Ann Carter d. 1869
Sarah Mehitable Carter d. 1865
Thomas C. Carter d. 1881
Dr. William Fred K. Carter d. 1866, practiced Medicine at Cohoes. N.Y. 32 yrs. and died there.
Alice Buck Chapman d. 1870, born at Bucksport, ME.
Rev. George T. Chapman, D.D. d. 1872, minister of the Protestant Episcopal Church, Rector of Christ Church in Lexington, N.Y., St. Paul's Church in Portland, ME. Grace, Newark, N.J. and St. Stephen's, Pittsfield MS.
Georgiana Chapman d. 1910
? Chase d. 1875
Elizabeth C. Chase d. 1873
Catherine S. Choate jr. d. 1846
Catherine S. Choate d. 1877
Clarence S. Choate d. 1853
Ezekiel Choate d. 1864
Marcia W. Choate d. 1883
Ann Coffin d. 1835
Emma E. Coffin d. 1863
Harriet Little Coffin d. 1884
Moses Coffin d. 1883
Sarah Annah Coffin d. 1854
Elizabeth Boyd Colman d. 1846
Elizabeth L. Coffin Colman d. 1881
Ella Eugenia Hull Colman d. 1934
George Henry Colman d. 1849
Henry Colman d. 1882
Jeremiah Colman d. 1909
Moses Colman d. 1899
Moses James Colman d. 1905
Susan A. Colman d. 18??
Susan W. Colman d. 1878
Elizabeth Whitney Cook d. 1857
Sarah Knight Cook d. 1854
Zebedee Cook d. 1845
Abby Coombs d. 1875
Charles Edwin Coombs d. 1871
John Coombs d. 1891
Katy Coombs d. 1850
Mary J. Morrill Coombs d. 1916
Philip Coombs d. 1863
Catherine Pearson Couch d. 1856
Catherine Stanwood Couch d. 1912
Mary Elizabeth Couch d. 1924
Capt. Robert Couch d. 1896, master mariner and twice mayor of Newburyport.
Robert Couch d. 1915
Sarah Frances Couch d. 1882
Annie M. Creasey d. 1923
Catharine Creasey d. 1850
Catherine Creasey d. 1908
Edward King Creasey d. 1882
Hannah Adams Creasey d. 1883
Joseph Creasey d. 1900
Mary Todd Creasey d. 1858
Sarah Todd Creasey d. 1879
Lt. William Creasey d. 1903
Edmund Currier d. 1844
Emma Currier d. 1833
Emma Ann Currier d. 1839
Frances E. Currier d. 1915
Hannah Bartlet Currier d. 1831
John James Currier d. 1912, Author of "The History of Newburyport, Mass. 1764-1905.
Joseph Edward Currier d. 1835
Mary C. Currier d. 1896
Mary H. Currier d. 1869
Othaolah Currier d. 1836
Thomas E. Currier d. 1850
Nathaniel W. Cutter d. 18?0
Rev. Daniel Dana d. 1859, epitaph, minister for 60 years in Newburyport of the Presbyterian and Second Presbyterian Church, president of Dartmouth College 1820-1821.
?? Davenport d. 1855
Charles W. Davenport d. 1891
Diana Davenport d. 1907
John Davenport d. 18??
John Davenport d. 1817
Mary Ann Davenport d. 1888
Moses Davenport d. 1861, former Mayor of Newburyport 1854, 1855 and 1861.
William R. Davenport d. 1828
Catherine Davenport De Ford d. 1865
Harriet D. De Ford d. 1901
Samuel T. De Ford d. 1878, of Chestertown MD.
Edward Dorr d. 1825
John Dalton Dorr d. 1824
Mary Dorr d. 1868
Jacob Farnham d. 1875, born in Andover Massachusetts, died in West Newbury, MA.
Catherine Louisa Woods Foster d. 1897
Ernestine L. Foster d. 1946
Fanny Buel Foster d. 1876
Frances Louisa Foster d. 1904
Nathaniel Foster d. 1893, age 96.
Nathaniel Foster Jr. d. 1916, in Woodstock, VT.
Lydia Anthony Fouquet d. 1813
Frank C. Francis d. 1870
Benjamin French d. 1847
Charles French d. 1825
Charles French d. 1846, during the wreck of the Steamer Atlantic at Long Island Sound.
Joseph A. Frothingham d. 1880, closeup photo, a drygoods merchant.
Joseph A. Frothingham jr. d. 1885
Martha R. Frothingham d. 1864,
Sarah C. Frothingham d. 1882
Alice Bartlett Gale d. 1846
Edward Warren Gale d. 1866
Hannah W. Johnson Gale d. 1850
Mary H. How Gale d. 1903
Phebe Jane How Gale d. 1860
Dr. Stephen M. Gale d. 1882
Alexander Graves d. 1850
Alexander Graves d. 1869
Edward Graves d. 1873, master of the ship "Tennyson", and lost in the Indian Ocean on passage from Calcutta to Boston.
Elizabeth W. Graves d. 1864, died at Rangoon, India.
Josiah Hale Graves d. 1854
Mary Graves d. 1817
Mary Newton Graves d. 1895
Mary Susannah Graves d. 1828
Mary Wheeler Graves d. 1865
Susannah Graves d. 1878
William Graves d. 1851
Ann C. Greenleaf d. 1905
Azubah P. Greenleaf, sr. d. 1857
Azubah P. Greenleaf, jr. d. 1857
Caroline Greenleaf d. 1835, died at Barancas, Fla.
Charles Henry Greenleaf d. 18??
Capt. Chester A. Greenleaf
Clarence A. Greenleaf d. 1851
Daniel P. Greenleaf d. 1880
Ella A. Greenleaf d. 1856
Emmons H. Greenleaf d. 1854
Florence E. Greenleaf d. 1878
Frank B. Greenleaf d. 1871
Jeremiah Greenleaf d. 18??
Joseph Greenleaf d. 1845
Joseph Greenleaf d. 1854
Joseph Greenleaf d. 1891
Joseph H. Greenleaf d. 1845
Lorinda S. Greenleaf d. 1889
Mary Ann Greenleaf d. 1849
Susan Greenleaf d. 1860
Susan M. Greenleaf d. 1901
Charles C. Greenough d. 1872
Frances De Ford Greenough d. 1883
Norman C. Greenough d. 1866, of Lebanon NH
Catherine C. Hale d. 1877
Eliza Parsons Witham Hale d. 1914
Frank Witham Hale d. 1890
Harriet R. Knight Hale d. 1862
Kate Story Hale d. 1925
Moses Emery Hale d. 1832
Moses Emery Hale d. 1904
Capt. Nathaniel Hale d. 1863, died in London.
John Garrick Hannah d. 1916
Lizzie Simpson Hannah d. 1952
Hannah Hanson d. 1869
Charles Hesseltine d. 1872
Mary Young Hesseltine d. 1852
Anna Horton, detail photo, photo 2, daughter of the Rev. William, who named St. Anna's Chapel at St. Paul's Church in memory of her.
James Horton d. 1861
Mary E. Horton, photo 2, d. 1879
Nancy Horton d. 1863
Rev. William Horton D.D., photo 2, d. 1863, Rector of St. Paul's Church. He donated St. Anna's Chapel, found on the grounds of the church and named in memory of his only daughter.
Hannah Webster How d. 1893
Phebe How How d. 1882, no mistake, maiden name How and married name How.
Richard G. Hughes d. 1852, born at Biddeford, Devonshire, England.
Adeline Ingraham d. 1861
L.P. Ingraham d. 1874
Anna Jaques d. 1885
Anna Jaques d. 1885, founder of Anna Jaques Hospital.
Eliza Jaques d. 1871
Enoch Jaques d. 1874
Joseph Jaques d. 1875
Mary Jane Fouquet Jenkins d. 1861
Robert Jenkins d. 1817
Robert Jenkins
Adie Jewett d. 1832
Eben Jewett d. 1863
Elizabeth A. Jewett d. 1890
Henry Johnson d. 1859
Mary Anthony LeBreton Johnson d. 1874
Mary Lizzie Kimball, front of stone, d. 1876, wife of Robert who died only 7 days after he did.
Robert R. Kimball, front of stone, d. 1876
Abigail Knapp d. 1872
Charles Long Knapp d. 1874
Charles William Knapp d. 1908
Eben Knapp d. 1846
Geroge P. Knapp d. 1882
Harriette Elizabeth Knapp d. 1842
Joseph J. Knapp d. 1883
Lucilla Breed Knapp d. 1873
Mary Colman Knapp d. 1853

Mary Pierce Knapp d. 1877, elaborate monument contains a beautiful carved marble likeness of Mrs. Knapp. Side 2, Side 3, second stone located at the front side of the mausoleum.
Philip Coombs Knapp d. 1900
Sarah Harriette Knapp d. 1899
Tabitha Currier Knapp d. 1870
William Knapp d. 1875
William Henry Knapp d. 1855
George William Wheelwright Krell d. 1862, aboard the Royal Mail Steamer "Magdalena" while at sea, aged 2.
Maria Augusta Wheelwright Krell d. 1885, born in Valpara SO, died at Oatlands, England.
W. Lawrence d. 18??
Fanny Goodridge Bray LeBosquet d. 1932
Francis S. LeBosquet d. 1931
Gideon E. Leighton d. 1857
Hannah Leighton d. 1878
Henry Leman, Company B, 35th Infantry Regiment Massachusetts, Civil War.
Eunice B. Little d. 1916
William A. Little d. 1897, 3rd Unatch'd Co. Massachusetts Infantry, Civil War.
Baby Boy Lunt d. 1869
Capt. Benjamin Lunt d. 1833, privateer during the Revolutionary War and commander of the ship Cato.
Benjamin P. Lunt d. 1875
Carrie P. Lunt d. 1904
Clarina B. Lunt d. 1912
Edmund Coffin Lunt d. 1838
Edmund Sydney Lunt d. 1898
Elizabeth H. Lunt d. 1921
Ernest M. Lunt d. 1948
George A. Lunt d. 1891, Company: K Unit: 43 Massachusetts Mil. Inantry, Civil War
Hannah Gyles Lunt d. 1829
Capt. Henry W. Lunt d. 1881
Capt. Jeremiah Lunt d. 1874
Mary Coffin Lunt d. 1836
Mary Jane Lunt d. 1890
Mary Johnson Lunt d. 1878
Capt. Micajah Lunt Jr. d. 1865, died in Dansville N.Y.
Micajah Lunt d. 1866
Micajah Lunt d. 1874
Sarah Giddings Lunt d. 1857
Sarah T. Lunt d. 1871
Sydney William Lunt d. 1838
Carrie L. Macintosh d. 1930
Fred L. Macintosh d. 1939
Hiram P. Macintosh d. 1907
Martha E. Macintosh d. 1903
Elcy Mackinney d. 1906
Thomas Mackinney d. 1887, commander of the clipper ship "Northern Eagle" which burnt to a total loss while in San Fransisco. It was suspected that the crew had a hand in setting the fire, but never proven.
Charles Story Marston d. 1845
Daniel White Marston d. 1823
Mary White Marston d. 1836
Mary Wilder Marston d. 1845
Stephen Webster Marston d. 1873, judge of Police Court.
Stephen Webster Marston jr. d. 1899
William Augustus Marston d. 1853
Albenia Martha McKay d. 1848
Anne Jane McKay d. 1842
Dennis McKay d. 1861
Donald McKay d. 1880, monument photo, designed and built some of the most successful clipper ships ever built including the Champion of the Seas, Flying Cloud, Glory of the Seas, and the Great Republic.
Francis McKay d. 1851
Lauchlan McKay d. 1853
Mary Cressy Litchfield McKay d. 1920
M. J. Moody d. 1869
Martha L. Moody d. 1890
Mary Moody d. 1881
Rebecca Moody d. 1895
Samuel Moody d. 1871
Samuel Moody jr. d. 1877
Sarah O. Poor Bray Moody d. 1876
Frederick Strong Moseley d. 1935, his estate is now Maudslay State Park.
Frederick Strong Moseley jr. d. 1972
Helen Carpenter Moseley
Helen Carpenter Moseley d. 1974
Mary B. Nash d. 1840
Mary E. Nash d. 1872
Caroline Newmarch d. 1898
Sarah Cook Niles d. 1865
Jacob Noyes d. 1851
Mary N. Noyes d. 1908
Rhoda S. Noyes d. 1862
Elizabeth M. Ordway d. 1887
Thomas S. Ordway d. 1877
Annie Wright Page d. 1853
John Page d. 1866
Maryetta Page d. 1839 stone 2
Ruth Caldwell Page d. 1865
Samuel Page d. 18??
Capt. Thomas C. Page d. 1853, stone 2, died in Porto Cabello S.A. His remains were buried in this spot March 18, 1854 (more than a year after his death.)
Mary Brown Parsons d. 1869
James Parton d. 1891
Abigail Patten d. 1829
Thomas Patten d. 1826
Willis Patten d. 1829, died at sea on his passage from Havana to Baltimore.
Arthur B Pearson
Harold D Pearson
John Francis Pearson d. 1931
Tillie Bradshaw Coombs Pearson d. 1937
Daniel S. Perkins d. 1835
Elizabeth P. Perkins d. 1847
Elizabeth Story Perkins d. 1864
Hannah Perkins d. 1834
Mary Susannah Graves Perkins d. 1??4
Thomas Perkins d. 1853
Caroline Pierce d. 1890
George R. Pierce d. 1834, died at sea.
Mary A. Pierce d. 1838
Mary E. Pierce d. 1858
Nathaniel C. Pierce d. 1834
Nathaniel C. Pierce d. 1853
Abigail S. Pike d. 1862
Abraham S. Pike d. 1850
Annie M. Pike d. 1890
Rev. Daniel P. Pike d. 1887
Elizabeth Pike d. 1865
Hannah K . Pike d. 1921
Samuel W . Pike d. 1868
Capt. Samuel W. Pike d. 1885
Sophia P. Pike d. 1879
David Plumer d. 1862
Etta Cary Plumer d. 1877
Florence S. Plumer d. 1916
George Willie Plumer d. 1848
Jane K. Plumer d. 1870
Lydia Plumer d. 1863
Mary E. Plumer d. 1873
Mary J. Plumer d. 1854
Susan S. Plumer d. 1912
William L. Plumer d. 1855
William R. Plumer d. 1888
Abbie H. Plummer d. 1910
W.H. Plummer d. 1902
Joseph Newmarch Prescott d. 1881
Mary Newmarch Prescott
Sarah Jane Bridges Prescott d. 1888
Elizabeth Tilton R? d. 1860
Dr. Dean Robinson d. 1863, born in North Andover Massachusetts, practiced medicine in West Newbury Massachusetts.
Elizabeth Forster Robinson d. 18??
Anna C. Rogers d. 1870
Ellen Rogers d. 1905
Fitzwilliam Rogers d. 1880
George Albert Rogers d. 1866
Mary C Rogers d. 1864
Lt. Col. Edward Olcott Shepard d. 1903, Company G, 32nd Infantry Regiment Massachusetts, Civil War. He was wounded at the Battles of Gettysburg, Petersburg and Hatcher's Run, where he was taken prisoner.
Edward Olcott Shepard Jr. d. 1950
Mary Coffin Lunt Shepard d. 1922
Abigail Simpson d. 1856
Capt. Paul Simpson d. 1871, born at York, ME.
Dr. Paul Simpson d. 1871, born in York Maine
Lydia Noyes Smith d. 1858, at New Orleans.
Willie Smith d. 1890
Ella Spalding d. 1872
Capt. George P. Spalding d. 1923
May Carrie Spalding d. 1878
Abigail H. Spiller d. 1887
Henry Spiller d. 1863
Mary Ann Spiller d. 1851
Susan Spiller d. 1862
William Henry Spiller d. 1855
Edward Spofford Spofford
Frances Haswel? Spofford d. 1895
Frances Maria Spofford d. 1887, mother-in-law to Harriet Prescott Spofford.
Harriet Elizabeth Prescott Spofford d. 1921, a famous author in her time of Gothic romance fiction. Her home still stands on Deer Island between Amesbury and Newburyport.
Richard S. Spofford M.D. d. 1872, father-in-law to Harriet Prescott Spofford.
Richard S. Spofford jr. d. 1888, husband of Harriet Prescott Spofford.
Mary Sumner d. 1866
Michael Sumner d. 1867, back side
George B. Swasey, master of the ship Masconomo.
Henry S. Swasey jr. d. 1860, "second officer, sailed Nov. 28, 1860 from New York for London, England and never heard from."
Henry Somerby Swasey d. 1882, stone 2, front side
Ophelia Swasey
Sally R.B. Swasey d. 1890, stone 2, front side
Susan Babson Swasey d. 1907, stone 2, front side, financiers of the first YWCA in Newburyport.
Susie B. Swasey d. 1865, front side, a portrait still hangs of her in the YWCA
William H. Swasey d. 1915, stone 2, front side, financiers of the first YWCA in Newburyport.
Charlotte Woodberry Symons d. 1909
Eliza O. Symons d. 1859
Capt. Mark Symons d. 1867
Hattie Hulbert Thayer d. 1865
Elissa Landi Thomas d. 1948, movie actress of the 1930's including portraying Mercedes de Rosas in the Count of Monte Cristo (1934). She also wrote 6 novels and a series of poems. She was also rumored to be a descendant of Emporer Franz Joseph of Austria.
Harriet P. Thurston d. 1839
Frances Goodale Thurston
Mary P. Perkins Thurston d. 1839
John E. Tilton d. 1860
Katherine Rockwood Tilton d. 1824
Sarah M. W. Titcomb d. 1857
Ettie B. Van Amburgh d. 1952
Mary Pierce Knapp Walker d. 1907
1st Lieut. Benjamin Welch d. 1931, 40th N.Y. Vols, Civil War.
Harriet A. Welch d. 1907
Jemma Foster Welch d. 1881
Mary A. Welch d. 1930
Richard Welch d. 1882
Richard E. Welch d. 1843
Richard H. Welch d. 1848
David Page Wheelwright d. 1867, born in Roxbury, died in Mentone(?) France.
Francis Brooks Wheelwright d. 1866
Jeremiah Wheelwright d. 1830, lost at sea.
Marian Wheelwright d. 1835, born in Valparasio Chile.
Martha G. Bartlet Wheelwright d. 1888
Mary B. Wheelwright d. 1863, died in Roxbury, MA.
Sarah E. Wheelwright d. 1840
William Wheelwright Jr. d. 1862, died at Kew near London, England, son of William Wheelwright Sr.
William Wheelwright, Esq., second photo, d. 1873, died in London, established the first steamer line, first railroad line and first telegraph line, first gas and water works, and the first iron pier in South America. He developed a trade route across the Isthmus of Panama, founder of the Pacific Steam Navigation Company. His full-length portrait was placed in the Merchants' exchange, and a bronze statue of him was erected at Valparaiso, Chile. **The historic gardens behind his home which reach to this cemetery and are one of the oldest surviving gardens in Newburyport, and are currently in danger of being destroyed for a subdivision.
Lydia Ann Williams d. 1880
Ada B. Wills d. 1858
Augustin Wills d. 1857
Caroline Wills d. 1878
Charles Henry Wills d. 1846
Charles Henry Wills d. 1853
Edward M. Wills d. 1846, died in Calcutta.
Edward N. Wills d. 1857
George H. Wills d. 1860
Horace Wills d. 1821
Capt. John Wills d. 1828
Capt. John Wills Jr. d. 1835, master of the ship Pilgrim, built at Amesbury.
John Wills d. 1917
Lawrence A. Wills d. 1871
Lucy S. Lord Wills d. 1909
Martha Wills d. 1824
Martha Smith Wills d. 1865
Rufus Wills d. 1875
Rufus A. Wills d. 1883
Sarah Wills d. 1875
Sarah Newman Wills d. 1865
William Wills d. 1892
Laura W. Wood d. 1840


More History in Newburyport to Visit

Bartlett Mall
Bounded by High, Pond, Auburn, and Greenleaf Sts.
The Bartlett Mall (pronounced Maal by locals), is a park area surrounding the frog pond and fountain. The pond was first shaped thousands of years ago by a huge chunk of ice which broke off a retreating glacier. When the ice finally melted, it left a steep - sided pit that geologists call the kettle hole. In the past it was used as a gravel pit, a training field for local militia and a ropewalk. There was also a windmill once located on this spot and the millstone from it can still be seen near the path along the south rim.

Benjamin Coker House
172 State St.
Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The Boardwalk and Waterfront Park
along the river off of Merrimack St.
During Newburyport's maritime era, this location was the landing area where merchant ships and privateers unloaded their cargo from around the world. It's now a beautiful boardwalk extending along the banks of the Merrimack River. Look for historic markers for features from the past such as the Custom House Slip, Warehouse Point, Francis Wharf, and Somerby's Landing.

Brown Square House Also known as Garrison Inn
11 Brown Sq.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1809 by Moses Brown as a residence, in later generations it served as a boarding house, inn and hotel. It was later renamed for patriot William Lloyd Garrison, a vocal spokesman against slavery. A statue of him is located in Brown Square located in front of the building. Today it is open as the Garrison Inn and features a restaurant and bar.

Caleb Cushing House Museum & Garden
98 High St.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Now the home of the Historical Society of Old Newbury. The society dates back to 1877 and was organized for the purpose of the study and remembrance of Newbury's history which includes, Newbury, Newburyport, West Newbury, Byfield and Plum Island. It now exhibits furnishings created by local craftsmen and imported during Newburyport's maritime era when it was a working seaport and imported goods from all over the world. On exhibit are also a the last remaining full wooden statue and arms from another that were once a large collection of historic figures carved into statues and displayed on the front lawn of Lord Timothy Dexter. Open May-October, Tue-Fri, 10am-4pm, Saturday, 11am-2pm.

Carr's Ferry
corner of High St. and Jefferson Street
Once the location of the first ferry to run across the Merrimack River from Newbury(port) to Salisbury. Established ca. 1639. It was once the only route from Boston to the Eastern Frontier.

Chain Bridge
Main St. connecting Deer Island to Newburyport
First constructed in 1792, it was the first bridge over the Merrimack River. It was reconstructed in 1810 and is one the oldest suspension bridges in America.

Clark Currier Inn
45 Green Street
Built in 1803 by shipbuilder Thomas March Clark and the birthplace of his son Thomas March Clark jr. who became Bishop of Rhode Island. It now operates as an Inn.

Custom house Maritime Museum
25 Water St.
Classical Revival. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Designed by architect Robert Mills, who also designed such historical buildings as the Washington Monument and the U.S. Treasury building. Built in 1835, this building was originally used as a Custom house in which the federal government collected taxes on imported goods brought home to Newburyport by ship captains from far away ports. The Museum maintains original artifacts from the prosperous trade era, maritime art, models of Newburyport-built vessels, trades routs and journals, and old maps showing the city's birth. Exhibitions focus on Newburyport's role on privateering, and fame - and fortune - it brought to local captains such as Moses Brown. Tours for students, programs for families and kids, and lectures fro the maritime enthusiast, all feature Newburyport's connection to the sea and rich maritime heritage. Open Memorial Day - Labor Day: Tuesday through Sunday 11a.m. - 4p.m.

Dalton House
95 State St.
Georgian, Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1792 by Michael Dalton, it was once home to his son Tristam Dalton, the first U.S. Senator from Massachusetts. George Washington dined here with the Dalton family on his visit to Newburyport in 1789. It now houses the Dalton Club, a social club.

Dodge Building
19-23 Pleasant St.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Edward Rawson House Site
267 High Street
Once the location of the home of Edward Rawson, secretary of the Massachusetts Bay Colony for 36 years, deputy to the General Court and clerk to the House of Deputies.

First Religious Society Church and Parish Hall Also known as Unitarian Church and Parish Hall
26 Pleasant St.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places. First established in 1722 as the Third Parish of Newbury, the current building was constructed in 1801. The bell was installed in 1816 from the foundry of Paul Revere and Son.

High Street Mansions
High St.
A testimony to the once glorious and profitable maritime era of Newburyport, this street is lined with Federal style mansions once owned by local shipping merchants.

Isles of Shoals
Some islands located in Maine, some in New Hampshire 10 miles off the coast of Kittery/Portsmouth/Rye. Tours to and around the island are available in Portsmouth, Rye, & Newburyport.
Starting as a fishing community in the 16th century, and later a resort community popular during the Victorian era, it's most famous residents are Samuel Haley, the Smuttynose Murder victims and writer Celia Thaxter. More information and history.

Lord Timothy Dexter House
High Street
Once the home of local merchant, eccentric and incredibly interesting character Timothy Dexter. It once included a crypt in the backyard where Dexter intended to be buried at his death, and held mock funerals in preparation before his death. This crypt was never used for its intended purpose and Dexter was buried at Old Hill Burying Ground. In front of the home was once decorated with large wooden statues Dexter had carved of himself and historic figures such as George Washington. The home is now a private residence.

Market Square Historic District
Market Sq. and properties fronting on State, Merrimac, Liberty, and Water Sts.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Much of the downtown area was leveled in the 1811 fire, but was rebuilt afterwards. Many of those buildings remain today.

Maudslay State Park
Curzon Mill Road
The former Moseley family estate on the Merrimack River, this park features 19th century gardens and plantings, rolling meadows, towering pines, and one of the largest naturally-occurring stands of mountain laurel in Massachusetts. Most breathtaking are the ornamental trees and masses of azaleas and rhododendrons that bloom in May and June. A wonderful place for walking, other activities include fishing, bird watching, cycling, picnicking, horseback riding, hiking, cross country skiing, and snowshoeing. Maudslay is also host to many outdoor concerts and performances during the summer season including some by the Theater in the Open. Open year round.

Newburyport Harbor Front Range Light
Merrimac River Coast Guard Station
Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Newburyport Harbor Light
Northern Blvd.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Newburyport Harbor Rear Range Light
Water St. near Merrimac River
Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Newburyport Historic District
Roughly bounded by Merrimack River, Plummer Ave., Marlboro, Plummer, State, and High Sts.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Newburyport Tea Party Plaque
35 Market Sq
In protest of the tax on tea imposed by England of 1773, many seaports had their own versions of a "Tea Party" as in Boston. Newburyport merchants brought their cargoes of tea here and publicly set it on fire.

Old Jail
Auburn Street
Built in 1825, where stocks and pillories once stood in the garden. General Lafayette placed the cornerstone there in 1825. It is now privately owned.

Old South Presbyterian Church
29 Federal Street
Built in 1743. The bell in the tower was cast by Paul Revere. Benedict Arnold and his troops worshiped here on their way to fight in Canada.  Rev. George Whitefield, a colleague of Ben Franklin is buried here in the crypt under the pulpit. John Greenleaf Whittier once penned a poem as a tribute to this church and pastor.

Phoenix Room
19 Inn Street
A hidden jewel of downtown Newburyport, the building was constructed in 1809 by a group of prominent Newburyport residents who formed the Phoenix Marine & Fire Insurance Society. Now used as a function hall, this portion of the building has been restored to its Federal period beauty.

Superior Courthouse
Bounded by High, Pond, Auburn, and Greenleaf Sts.
Designed by Charles Bullfinch and built in 1805. Behind it is the Bartlett Mall (pronounced Maal by locals), a park area surrounding the frog pond and fountain. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. In front of the Courthouse is displayed a bomb shell brought from the Seige of Louisburg by Nathaniel Knapp jr. in 1759.

Tracey Mansion (now part of the Newburyport Public Library)
94 State Street
Built in 1771 by Patrick Tracey for his son, Nathaniel, the home was later owned by "Lord" Timothy Dexter. Throughout the early years of the Revolutionary War, the stately house was improved using privateering profits and decorated with imported furnishings along with the loot from British ships. In October of 1789, George Washington stayed the night here during his visit to Newburyport as a guest of the Tracey's. It was once the whole of the Public Library until the recent expansion and is now one wing of the library.

US Coastguard Monument
on the green between the Fire House and Boardwalk
Newburyport is the birthplace of the US Coastguard, beginning in 1793 with the launching of the USRC Massachusetts near this spot built by William Searle and commissioned by President George Washington.

Watt's Cellar
Market Square at the front left side of the Firehouse
This location was created before 1635 and before any local settlement as a place for fisherman to store their catch. Fisherman were in the area before any permanent settlement.

If you know of an historic place to visit in Newburyport, please submit it to jenn@gravematter.com

Find more museums in Massachusetts


Home | Burying Grounds | About This | Interesting Carvings | Quick Tidbits | Epitaphs | Blog | Contact, Sponsorships & Requests

All photographs and content Copyright © 2002 - <%=Year(Date)%> Jenn Marcelais (except where specified).
a Soul Oyster Web Studios production. web, design, seo & internet marketing services.