Donate to help this project

This website focuses on photographs and documenting the gravestones of local Maine, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire history and genealogy of early ancestors who settled New England, and gravestone artistry. It's also completely a volunteer effort by a very small amount of people. Your contributions help keep this site growing. Please consider a donation if you've found anything interesting here.

These photos are never allowed to be copied or posted to other websites without permission.
Read the copyright notice before copying any photos or information off this site.

A Very Grave Matter on Facebook
Burying Grounds | About This Project | Interesting Carvings | Soul Effigies & Angels | Quick Tidbits | Epitaphs | Blog | Contact
Headstones, Colonial, Revolutionary War, Vital Records, Epitaphs, Epitaph, Historical, photos, photography, photographs, pictures, tombstone art, 17th century, 18th century, 16th century
 

Burying Grounds, Cemeteries, Gravestones & History of Newburyport, Massachusetts

Cemeteries & History of Newburyport, Massachusetts

Sawyer's Hill Burying Ground was established in 1630 (when the town was still part of Newbury) and is located off of Curzon's Mill Road near Maudslay State Park in Newburyport. The town of Newburyport was established separately in 1764. There are a large number of gravestones from 1735/36, when this area was plagued by a throat epidemic that killed over 2000 people in all in Massachusetts. See it's location and get directions at Yahoo Maps.

There are currently 124 entries for this cemetery (about 30% completed).

Cemetery Status: Poor, several broken stones and the grounds are not kept at all. Luckily this burying ground is largely ignored by vandals due to its location off the road and in the woods. There is much evidence of several 19th century repairs.

Sawyer's Hill Burying Ground est. 1630

 

Edwin Atkinson d. 1816
Moses Atkinson d. 1816
Mary Baily d. 1707/8
Abigail Bartlett d. 1727
Dorcas Bartlet d. 1719
Eunice Bartlet d. 1753
Hannah Bartlet d. 1705
Hannah Bartlet d. 1770
Judith Bartlett d. 18?0
Moses Bartlett d. 1803
Richard Bartlet d. 1753
Richard Bartlett d. 1724
Samuel Bartlett d. 1753
Tristram Bartlet d. 1760
Abigail Bayley d. 1757
Dea. Abner Bayley d. 1821
David Bayley d. 1757
David Bayley d. 1721
Dea. Edmund Bayley d. 18??
Isaac Bayley sr. d. 1743
Isaac Bayley jr. d. 1736
Isaac Bayley d. 1725
Joseph Bayley d. 1736
Judith Bayley d. 1837
Judith Bayley d. 1845
Judith Bayley d. 1736
Lydia Bayley d. 1736
Mary Bayley d. 1760
Mary Bayley d. 1736
Samuel Bayley d. 1731
Sarah Bayley d. 1759
Martha Bowley d. 1773
Dr. Daniel Broadstreet d. 1723
Abigail Brown d. 1774
Abigail Brown d. 1736
Dolly Moody Brown d. 1863
Eliphalet Brown d. 1736
Francis Brown d. 1736
Joseph Brown d. 1742
Joseph Brown d. 1810
Deacon Joshua Brown d. 1720
Lydia Brown d. 1730
Samuel Brown d. 1735
Samuel Brown d. 1736
Samuel Brown d. 1736
Sarah Brown d. 1732
John Campbell d. 1821
Judith Ann Campbell d. 1833
Amos Chase d. 1844
Amos Chase d. 187?
Ann Chase d. 1708
Anna Chase d. 1826
Eunice Chase d. 1842
Hannah Chase d. 1807
John Chase d. 1804
Leonard Gardner Chase d. 1827
Lydia Chase d. 1850
Patience Chase d. 1854
Rev. Plummer Chase d. 1837
Ruth Chase d. 1795
Daniel Cheney d. 1736
Sarah Cheney d. 1772
Abigail Chisemore, photo 2 d. 1804
Hannah Chisemore, photo 2 d. 1801
Greenleaf Coker d. 1817
Sarah Coker d. 1832
Thomas Coker d. 1804
Thomas Colby d. 1789
?? Cooper d. 1807
Abigail Cooper d. 1758
Elisabeth Cooper d. 1798
Hannah Cooper d. 1800
Lydia Cooper d. 1801
Mary Cooper d. 1763
Dea. Moses Cooper d. 1803
Simeon Cooper d. 1811
Anna Josephine Davis d. 1860
Dea. Benjamin Davis d. 1874
Charles M. Davis d. 1838
Martha Eveline Davis sr d. 1892
Martha Eveline Davis jr. d. 18?4
Mary Bartlett Delpratt d. 1816
Hannah Moody Downer d. 1872
Joseph S. Downer d. 1851
Paul P. Downer d. 1852
Hanameel Emeroson d. 1776
??? Greenough Emery d. 1879
Abigail Emery d. 1843
Benjamin Emery d. 1736
Daniel Emery d. 1760
Daniel Emery Esq. d. 1841
Edwin Humhrey Emery d. 1877
Dr. Eliphalet Emery d. 1773
Elizabeth Emery d. 1778
Hannah Emery d. 1779
Hannah Emery d. 1772
Hannah Emery d. 1859
Hitty Emery d. 1739
Lieut. John Emery d. 1750
John Emery d. 1730
John Emery d. 1736
Josiah Emery d. 1718
Josiah Emery d. 1729
Josiah Emery d. 1736
Lyndon Leicester Emery d. 1858
Mary Emery d. 1803
Mehetabel Emery d. 1773
Nathaniel Emery d. 1822
Nathaniel Emery d. 1822
Olive Josephine Emery d. 1867
Polly Emery d. 1854
Ruth Emery d. 1764
Ruth Emery d. 1800
Samuel Emery d. 1805
Sarah Short Emery d. 1783
Sarah Emery d. 1777
Sarah Emery
Stephen Emery Esq. d. 1795
Stephen Emery jr. d. 1799
Ens. Stephen Emery d. 1746/7
Hannah Greeley d. 1802
Dorothy Greenleaf d. 1782
Ens. Edmund Greenleaf d. 1759
Enoch Greenleaf
Enoch Greenleaf d. 1779
Francis Greenleaf d. 1797
Martha Greenleaf d. 1735
Sarah Greenleaf d. 1761
Capt. Tristram Greenleaf sr. d. 1742
Capt. Tristram Greenleaf jr. d. 1754
Stephen Greenleaf d. 1735
Shimuel Griffin d. 1762
Baby Boy Hale d. 1781
Anna Hale d. 1770
Elizabeth Hale d. 1791
Judith Hale d. 1790
Lydia Hale d. 1801
Mary Hale d. 1778
Matthew Hale sr. d. 1773
Matthew Hale jr. d. 1767
Mehetable Hale d. 1824
Capt. Oliver Hale d. 1808
Sarah Hale d. 1785
Silas Hale d. 1797
Thomas Hale d. 1776
Thomas Hale Esq. d. 1746

William Hersey d. 1802
Abel Huse d. 1757
Anne Huse d. 1733
Ebenezer Huse d. 1792
Elizabeth Huse d. 1734
Elisabeth Huse d. 1735
Elisabeth Huse d. 1768
Hannah Huse d. 1737
John Huse jr. d. 1733
John Huse jr. II d. 1736
John Huse sr. d. 1736
Judith Huse d. 1753
Judith Knight Emery Huse d. 1730
Sarah Huse d. 1730
Sarah Huse d. 1777
Thomas Huse d. 1734
William Huse d. 1754
Joseph N. Jackman d. 1851
Mary Jackman d. 1874
Mary Olive Morse Jackman d. 1845
Hannah Jones d. 1710
Abel Kimball d. 1787
Caleb Kimball d. 1795
Hannah Kimball d. 1820
Judith Kimball d. 1787
Leonard Kimball d. 1828
Sarah Kimball d. 1797
Thomas N. Kimball d. 1833
John Knight d. 1723
Sarah Knight d. 1744
Judith Lewis d. 1775
Abigail Little d. 1815
Edna Little d. 1732
Mary Little d. 1798
Mary Little d. 1725
Mehetable Little d. 1824
Moses Little d. 1780
Col. Moses Little d. 1798
Sarah Little d. 1763
Benjamin Long Jr. d. 1760
Stephen March d. 1736
Truman March d.1736
Abigail Merrill d. 1813
Hannah Merrill d. 1836
Deacon Henry Merrill d. 1844
Paul Merrill d. 1813
Rebekah Merrill d. 1823
Rebekah Merrill jr. d. 1811
William Merrill d. 1811
Deacon Caleb Moody d. 1741
Caleb Moody d. 1776
Caleb Moody d. 1782
Lieut. Caleb Moody d. 1793
Charles Moody d. 1875
Dorothy Moody d. 1826
Elisabeth Moody d. 1760
Elisabeth Moody sr. d. 1754
Elisabeth Moody jr. d. 1749
Hannah Moody d. 1817
Joseph Moody d. 1805
Joshua Moody d. 1781
Moses S. Moody Esq. d. 1817
Ruth Moody d. 1829
Ruth Moody d. 1748
Samuel Moody d. 1801
Sarah Moody d. 1789
Susannah Moody d. 1784
Stephen Moody d. 1768
Hannah Morrison d. 1716
Anthony Morse d. 1729
Charles Morse d. 1810
Humphrey Morse d. 1836
Joseph Morse d. 1851
Joseph W. Morse d. 1849
Joshua Morse d. 1756
Olive Morse d. 1838
Ruth Morse d. 1728
Walter Scott Morse d. 1849
Winnie Morse
Abigail Moulton d. 1723
Jonathon Moulton d. 1717
Elizabeth W. Newhall d. 1863
Joshua Little Newhall sr. d. 1874
Joshua L. Newhall jr. d. 1865
Mary B. Newhall d. 1908
Preston Newhall d. 1867
Preston Newhall jr. d. 1870
Walter Newhall d. 1872
Rebecca Noyes d. 1794
Sarah Noyes d. 1827
William Noyes d. 1797
William Noyes d. 1797
Hannah Ordway d. 1729
Hannah Ordway d. 1741
Hannah Ordway d. 1813
James Ordway d. 1893
Joanna Ordway d. 1772
John Ordway d. 173?
Sgt. John Ordway d. 1718
Joshua Ordway d. 1826
Judith Ordway d. 1861
Marcey Ordway d. 1735
Mary Ordway d. 1819
Richard Ordway d. 1735
Sarah Ordway d. 1811
Daniel Peterson
Abigail Poor d. 1830
Benjamin Poor d. 1817
Catharine Poor d. 1727
Hannah Poor
Judith Poor d. 1776
Judith Poor d. 1837
Ruth Poor d. 1802
Samuel Poor d. 1769
Elizabeth Ridgway d. 1860
Joseph Ridgway d. 1802
Abigail Rogers d. 1838
Enoch Rogers d. 1812
John Rogers d. 1740
Oliver Rogers d. 1826
Thomas Rogers d. 1744
Abigail Sawyer d. 1722
Abigail Sawyer d. 1778 (beautiful carvings)
Hannah Sawyer d. 1739
Hannah Sawyer d. 1802
Israel Sawyer d, 1739
John Sawyer d. 1723
Mary Sawyer d. 1707/8
Matthias Plant Sawyer d. 1777
Moses Sawyer d. 1778
Samuel Sawyer d. 1723
Lt. Samuel Sawyer d. 1718
Ensign Benjamin Smith d. 1723
Mary Tomb d. 1800
Capt. Daniel Toppan d. 1800
Daniel Toppan jr. d. 1792
John Tufts d. 1727
Ruth Wilimars d. 1745
Deacon Archelaus Woodman d. 1766
Edward Woodman d. 1762
Mary Woodman d. 1771
Nathan Woodman d. 1786

More History in Newburyport to Visit

Bartlett Mall
Bounded by High, Pond, Auburn, and Greenleaf Sts.
The Bartlett Mall (pronounced Maal by locals), is a park area surrounding the frog pond and fountain. The pond was first shaped thousands of years ago by a huge chunk of ice which broke off a retreating glacier. When the ice finally melted, it left a steep - sided pit that geologists call the kettle hole. In the past it was used as a gravel pit, a training field for local militia and a ropewalk. There was also a windmill once located on this spot and the millstone from it can still be seen near the path along the south rim.

Benjamin Coker House
172 State St.
Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The Boardwalk and Waterfront Park
along the river off of Merrimack St.
During Newburyport's maritime era, this location was the landing area where merchant ships and privateers unloaded their cargo from around the world. It's now a beautiful boardwalk extending along the banks of the Merrimack River. Look for historic markers for features from the past such as the Custom House Slip, Warehouse Point, Francis Wharf, and Somerby's Landing.

Brown Square House Also known as Garrison Inn
11 Brown Sq.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1809 by Moses Brown as a residence, in later generations it served as a boarding house, inn and hotel. It was later renamed for patriot William Lloyd Garrison, a vocal spokesman against slavery. A statue of him is located in Brown Square located in front of the building. Today it is open as the Garrison Inn and features a restaurant and bar.

Caleb Cushing House Museum & Garden
98 High St.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Now the home of the Historical Society of Old Newbury. The society dates back to 1877 and was organized for the purpose of the study and remembrance of Newbury's history which includes, Newbury, Newburyport, West Newbury, Byfield and Plum Island. It now exhibits furnishings created by local craftsmen and imported during Newburyport's maritime era when it was a working seaport and imported goods from all over the world. On exhibit are also a the last remaining full wooden statue and arms from another that were once a large collection of historic figures carved into statues and displayed on the front lawn of Lord Timothy Dexter. Open May-October, Tue-Fri, 10am-4pm, Saturday, 11am-2pm.

Carr's Ferry
corner of High St. and Jefferson Street
Once the location of the first ferry to run across the Merrimack River from Newbury(port) to Salisbury. Established ca. 1639. It was once the only route from Boston to the Eastern Frontier.

Chain Bridge
Main St. connecting Deer Island to Newburyport
First constructed in 1792, it was the first bridge over the Merrimack River. It was reconstructed in 1810 and is one the oldest suspension bridges in America.

Clark Currier Inn
45 Green Street
Built in 1803 by shipbuilder Thomas March Clark and the birthplace of his son Thomas March Clark jr. who became Bishop of Rhode Island. It now operates as an Inn.

Custom house Maritime Museum
25 Water St.
Classical Revival. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Designed by architect Robert Mills, who also designed such historical buildings as the Washington Monument and the U.S. Treasury building. Built in 1835, this building was originally used as a Custom house in which the federal government collected taxes on imported goods brought home to Newburyport by ship captains from far away ports. The Museum maintains original artifacts from the prosperous trade era, maritime art, models of Newburyport-built vessels, trades routs and journals, and old maps showing the city's birth. Exhibitions focus on Newburyport's role on privateering, and fame - and fortune - it brought to local captains such as Moses Brown. Tours for students, programs for families and kids, and lectures fro the maritime enthusiast, all feature Newburyport's connection to the sea and rich maritime heritage. Open Memorial Day - Labor Day: Tuesday through Sunday 11a.m. - 4p.m.

Dalton House
95 State St.
Georgian, Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1792 by Michael Dalton, it was once home to his son Tristam Dalton, the first U.S. Senator from Massachusetts. George Washington dined here with the Dalton family on his visit to Newburyport in 1789. It now houses the Dalton Club, a social club.

Dodge Building
19-23 Pleasant St.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Edward Rawson House Site
267 High Street
Once the location of the home of Edward Rawson, secretary of the Massachusetts Bay Colony for 36 years, deputy to the General Court and clerk to the House of Deputies.

First Religious Society Church and Parish Hall Also known as Unitarian Church and Parish Hall
26 Pleasant St.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places. First established in 1722 as the Third Parish of Newbury, the current building was constructed in 1801. The bell was installed in 1816 from the foundry of Paul Revere and Son.

High Street Mansions
High St.
A testimony to the once glorious and profitable maritime era of Newburyport, this street is lined with Federal style mansions once owned by local shipping merchants.

Isles of Shoals
Some islands located in Maine, some in New Hampshire 10 miles off the coast of Kittery/Portsmouth/Rye. Tours to and around the island are available in Portsmouth, Rye, & Newburyport.
Starting as a fishing community in the 16th century, and later a resort community popular during the Victorian era, it's most famous residents are Samuel Haley, the Smuttynose Murder victims and writer Celia Thaxter. More information and history.

Lord Timothy Dexter House
High Street
Once the home of local merchant, eccentric and incredibly interesting character Timothy Dexter. It once included a crypt in the backyard where Dexter intended to be buried at his death, and held mock funerals in preparation before his death. This crypt was never used for its intended purpose and Dexter was buried at Old Hill Burying Ground. In front of the home was once decorated with large wooden statues Dexter had carved of himself and historic figures such as George Washington. The home is now a private residence.

Market Square Historic District
Market Sq. and properties fronting on State, Merrimac, Liberty, and Water Sts.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Much of the downtown area was leveled in the 1811 fire, but was rebuilt afterwards. Many of those buildings remain today.

Maudslay State Park
Curzon Mill Road
The former Moseley family estate on the Merrimack River, this park features 19th century gardens and plantings, rolling meadows, towering pines, and one of the largest naturally-occurring stands of mountain laurel in Massachusetts. Most breathtaking are the ornamental trees and masses of azaleas and rhododendrons that bloom in May and June. A wonderful place for walking, other activities include fishing, bird watching, cycling, picnicking, horseback riding, hiking, cross country skiing, and snowshoeing. Maudslay is also host to many outdoor concerts and performances during the summer season including some by the Theater in the Open. Open year round.

Newburyport Harbor Front Range Light
Merrimac River Coast Guard Station
Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Newburyport Harbor Light
Northern Blvd.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Newburyport Harbor Rear Range Light
Water St. near Merrimac River
Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Newburyport Historic District
Roughly bounded by Merrimack River, Plummer Ave., Marlboro, Plummer, State, and High Sts.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Newburyport Tea Party Plaque
35 Market Sq
In protest of the tax on tea imposed by England of 1773, many seaports had their own versions of a "Tea Party" as in Boston. Newburyport merchants brought their cargoes of tea here and publicly set it on fire.

Old Jail
Auburn Street
Built in 1825, where stocks and pillories once stood in the garden. General Lafayette placed the cornerstone there in 1825. It is now privately owned.

Old South Presbyterian Church
29 Federal Street
Built in 1743. The bell in the tower was cast by Paul Revere. Benedict Arnold and his troops worshiped here on their way to fight in Canada.  Rev. George Whitefield, a colleague of Ben Franklin is buried here in the crypt under the pulpit. John Greenleaf Whittier once penned a poem as a tribute to this church and pastor.

Phoenix Room
19 Inn Street
A hidden jewel of downtown Newburyport, the building was constructed in 1809 by a group of prominent Newburyport residents who formed the Phoenix Marine & Fire Insurance Society. Now used as a function hall, this portion of the building has been restored to its Federal period beauty.

Superior Courthouse
Bounded by High, Pond, Auburn, and Greenleaf Sts.
Designed by Charles Bullfinch and built in 1805. Behind it is the Bartlett Mall (pronounced Maal by locals), a park area surrounding the frog pond and fountain. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. In front of the Courthouse is displayed a bomb shell brought from the Seige of Louisburg by Nathaniel Knapp jr. in 1759.

Tracey Mansion (now part of the Newburyport Public Library)
94 State Street
Built in 1771 by Patrick Tracey for his son, Nathaniel, the home was later owned by "Lord" Timothy Dexter. Throughout the early years of the Revolutionary War, the stately house was improved using privateering profits and decorated with imported furnishings along with the loot from British ships. In October of 1789, George Washington stayed the night here during his visit to Newburyport as a guest of the Tracey's. It was once the whole of the Public Library until the recent expansion and is now one wing of the library.

US Coastguard Monument
on the green between the Fire House and Boardwalk
Newburyport is the birthplace of the US Coastguard, beginning in 1793 with the launching of the USRC Massachusetts near this spot built by William Searle and commissioned by President George Washington.

Watt's Cellar
Market Square at the front left side of the Firehouse
This location was created before 1635 and before any local settlement as a place for fisherman to store their catch. Fisherman were in the area before any permanent settlement.

If you know of an historic place to visit in Newburyport, please submit it to jenn@gravematter.com

Find more museums in Massachusetts


Home | Burying Grounds | About This | Interesting Carvings | Quick Tidbits | Epitaphs | Blog | Contact, Sponsorships & Requests

All photographs and content Copyright © 2002 - <%=Year(Date)%> Jenn Marcelais (except where specified).
a Soul Oyster Web Studios production. web, design, seo & internet marketing services.