Donate to help this project

This website focuses on photographs and documenting the gravestones of local Maine, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire history and genealogy of early ancestors who settled New England, and gravestone artistry. It's also completely a volunteer effort by a very small amount of people. Your contributions help keep this site growing. Please consider a donation if you've found anything interesting here.

These photos are never allowed to be copied or posted to other websites without permission.
Read the copyright notice before copying any photos or information off this site.

A Very Grave Matter on Facebook
Burying Grounds | About This Project | Interesting Carvings | Soul Effigies & Angels | Quick Tidbits | Epitaphs | Blog | Contact
Headstones, Colonial, Revolutionary War, Vital Records, Epitaphs, Epitaph, Historical, photos, photography, photographs, pictures, tombstone art, 17th century, 18th century, 16th century
 

Burying Grounds, Cemeteries, Gravestones & History of Newburyport, Massachusetts

Cemeteries & History of Newburyport, Massachusetts

This burying ground is located across from McDonald's on Storey Ave and was established in 1720 when the town was still part of Newbury. The town of Newburyport was established in 1764. The first parish here was erected in 1711 and called Queen Anne's Chapel. The cemetery was later renamed Belleville Cemetery after the church building burnt down in 1920 and the parish relocated to St. Paul's Church. Queen Anne's Chapel featured a Paul Revere Bell, which was saved from destruction and is now on display at St. Paul's Church on High Street. See it's location and get directions at Yahoo Maps.

Cemetery Status: Excellent. The grounds are well kept with very few broken stones.

Queen Anne's Chapel Burying Ground / Belleville Cemetery


View entire gallery

Nancy Knowlton Baker d. 1829
Israel Bartlet Esq., heelstone d. 1754
James Bartlet d. 1741
Nehemiah Bartlet d. 1741
Samuel Bartlet d. 1732
Sarah Bartlet d. 1727
Sarah Bartlet, heelstone d. 1744, a "maiden gentlewoman."
Tabitha Bartlet d. 1778
Thomas Bartlet sr. d. 1744
Thomas Bartlet jr. d. 1782
Abigail Bayley d. 1791
Capt. James Bayley d. 1796
John Bayley d. 1747
Joshua Brown d. 1742
Elizabeth Coffin d. 1749
Lydia Gordon d. 1835
Timothy Gordon d. 1836, a soldier in the Revolutionary War who fought at the Battle of Bunker Hill.
Anna Knowlton
Francis Knowlton
John Knowlton
Martha Knowlton
William D. Lee member of Co. A, 59th Mass Infantry, Civil War. Also a Ship Carpenter.
Joseph Long d. 1768
Sarah Long d. 1760
Francis Lovering d. 1790
Dorothy Moody d. 1741
Hannah Moody d. 1741/2
Joshua Morse d. 1844
Martha Morse d. 1817
Isaac S. Packer Co. B 40th NY Infantry and 76 Co., 2 Battallion Veteran Reserve Corps, Civil War.
Lydia Plant d. 1753
Rev. Matthias Plant, heelstone, d. 1753, born in Staffordshire, England, minister of Queen Anne's Chapel and St. Paul's Church.
Benjamin Whitmore d. 1811
Betsey Whitmore d. 1806
Betsy Whitmore d. 1828
Daniel Whitmore d. 1828, died at sea.
Ebenezer Whitmore d. 1759
Elisabeth Whitmore d. 1748
Elizabeth Whitmore d. 1768
Elizabeth Whitmore d. 1782
Joseph Whitmore d. 1759
Joseph Flagg Whitmore d. 1805
Joshua Whitmore d. 1827
Mary Whitmore, heelstone, d. 1765
Mary Whitmore d. 1806
Mary Whitmore d. 1838
Nathan Whitmore d. 1759
Susan Whitmore d. 1859
Thomas Whitmore d. 1747

More History in Newburyport to Visit

Bartlett Mall
Bounded by High, Pond, Auburn, and Greenleaf Sts.
The Bartlett Mall (pronounced Maal by locals), is a park area surrounding the frog pond and fountain. The pond was first shaped thousands of years ago by a huge chunk of ice which broke off a retreating glacier. When the ice finally melted, it left a steep - sided pit that geologists call the kettle hole. In the past it was used as a gravel pit, a training field for local militia and a ropewalk. There was also a windmill once located on this spot and the millstone from it can still be seen near the path along the south rim.

Benjamin Coker House
172 State St.
Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The Boardwalk and Waterfront Park
along the river off of Merrimack St.
During Newburyport's maritime era, this location was the landing area where merchant ships and privateers unloaded their cargo from around the world. It's now a beautiful boardwalk extending along the banks of the Merrimack River. Look for historic markers for features from the past such as the Custom House Slip, Warehouse Point, Francis Wharf, and Somerby's Landing.

Brown Square House Also known as Garrison Inn
11 Brown Sq.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1809 by Moses Brown as a residence, in later generations it served as a boarding house, inn and hotel. It was later renamed for patriot William Lloyd Garrison, a vocal spokesman against slavery. A statue of him is located in Brown Square located in front of the building. Today it is open as the Garrison Inn and features a restaurant and bar.

Caleb Cushing House Museum & Garden
98 High St.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Now the home of the Historical Society of Old Newbury. The society dates back to 1877 and was organized for the purpose of the study and remembrance of Newbury's history which includes, Newbury, Newburyport, West Newbury, Byfield and Plum Island. It now exhibits furnishings created by local craftsmen and imported during Newburyport's maritime era when it was a working seaport and imported goods from all over the world. On exhibit are also a the last remaining full wooden statue and arms from another that were once a large collection of historic figures carved into statues and displayed on the front lawn of Lord Timothy Dexter. Open May-October, Tue-Fri, 10am-4pm, Saturday, 11am-2pm.

Carr's Ferry
corner of High St. and Jefferson Street
Once the location of the first ferry to run across the Merrimack River from Newbury(port) to Salisbury. Established ca. 1639. It was once the only route from Boston to the Eastern Frontier.

Chain Bridge
Main St. connecting Deer Island to Newburyport
First constructed in 1792, it was the first bridge over the Merrimack River. It was reconstructed in 1810 and is one the oldest suspension bridges in America.

Clark Currier Inn
45 Green Street
Built in 1803 by shipbuilder Thomas March Clark and the birthplace of his son Thomas March Clark jr. who became Bishop of Rhode Island. It now operates as an Inn.

Custom house Maritime Museum
25 Water St.
Classical Revival. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Designed by architect Robert Mills, who also designed such historical buildings as the Washington Monument and the U.S. Treasury building. Built in 1835, this building was originally used as a Custom house in which the federal government collected taxes on imported goods brought home to Newburyport by ship captains from far away ports. The Museum maintains original artifacts from the prosperous trade era, maritime art, models of Newburyport-built vessels, trades routs and journals, and old maps showing the city's birth. Exhibitions focus on Newburyport's role on privateering, and fame - and fortune - it brought to local captains such as Moses Brown. Tours for students, programs for families and kids, and lectures fro the maritime enthusiast, all feature Newburyport's connection to the sea and rich maritime heritage. Open Memorial Day - Labor Day: Tuesday through Sunday 11a.m. - 4p.m.

Dalton House
95 State St.
Georgian, Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1792 by Michael Dalton, it was once home to his son Tristam Dalton, the first U.S. Senator from Massachusetts. George Washington dined here with the Dalton family on his visit to Newburyport in 1789. It now houses the Dalton Club, a social club.

Dodge Building
19-23 Pleasant St.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Edward Rawson House Site
267 High Street
Once the location of the home of Edward Rawson, secretary of the Massachusetts Bay Colony for 36 years, deputy to the General Court and clerk to the House of Deputies.

First Religious Society Church and Parish Hall Also known as Unitarian Church and Parish Hall
26 Pleasant St.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places. First established in 1722 as the Third Parish of Newbury, the current building was constructed in 1801. The bell was installed in 1816 from the foundry of Paul Revere and Son.

High Street Mansions
High St.
A testimony to the once glorious and profitable maritime era of Newburyport, this street is lined with Federal style mansions once owned by local shipping merchants.

Isles of Shoals
Some islands located in Maine, some in New Hampshire 10 miles off the coast of Kittery/Portsmouth/Rye. Tours to and around the island are available in Portsmouth, Rye, & Newburyport.
Starting as a fishing community in the 16th century, and later a resort community popular during the Victorian era, it's most famous residents are Samuel Haley, the Smuttynose Murder victims and writer Celia Thaxter. More information and history.

Lord Timothy Dexter House
High Street
Once the home of local merchant, eccentric and incredibly interesting character Timothy Dexter. It once included a crypt in the backyard where Dexter intended to be buried at his death, and held mock funerals in preparation before his death. This crypt was never used for its intended purpose and Dexter was buried at Old Hill Burying Ground. In front of the home was once decorated with large wooden statues Dexter had carved of himself and historic figures such as George Washington. The home is now a private residence.

Market Square Historic District
Market Sq. and properties fronting on State, Merrimac, Liberty, and Water Sts.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Much of the downtown area was leveled in the 1811 fire, but was rebuilt afterwards. Many of those buildings remain today.

Maudslay State Park
Curzon Mill Road
The former Moseley family estate on the Merrimack River, this park features 19th century gardens and plantings, rolling meadows, towering pines, and one of the largest naturally-occurring stands of mountain laurel in Massachusetts. Most breathtaking are the ornamental trees and masses of azaleas and rhododendrons that bloom in May and June. A wonderful place for walking, other activities include fishing, bird watching, cycling, picnicking, horseback riding, hiking, cross country skiing, and snowshoeing. Maudslay is also host to many outdoor concerts and performances during the summer season including some by the Theater in the Open. Open year round.

Newburyport Harbor Front Range Light
Merrimac River Coast Guard Station
Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Newburyport Harbor Light
Northern Blvd.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Newburyport Harbor Rear Range Light
Water St. near Merrimac River
Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Newburyport Historic District
Roughly bounded by Merrimack River, Plummer Ave., Marlboro, Plummer, State, and High Sts.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Newburyport Tea Party Plaque
35 Market Sq
In protest of the tax on tea imposed by England of 1773, many seaports had their own versions of a "Tea Party" as in Boston. Newburyport merchants brought their cargoes of tea here and publicly set it on fire.

Old Jail
Auburn Street
Built in 1825, where stocks and pillories once stood in the garden. General Lafayette placed the cornerstone there in 1825. It is now privately owned.

Old South Presbyterian Church
29 Federal Street
Built in 1743. The bell in the tower was cast by Paul Revere. Benedict Arnold and his troops worshiped here on their way to fight in Canada.  Rev. George Whitefield, a colleague of Ben Franklin is buried here in the crypt under the pulpit. John Greenleaf Whittier once penned a poem as a tribute to this church and pastor.

Phoenix Room
19 Inn Street
A hidden jewel of downtown Newburyport, the building was constructed in 1809 by a group of prominent Newburyport residents who formed the Phoenix Marine & Fire Insurance Society. Now used as a function hall, this portion of the building has been restored to its Federal period beauty.

Superior Courthouse
Bounded by High, Pond, Auburn, and Greenleaf Sts.
Designed by Charles Bullfinch and built in 1805. Behind it is the Bartlett Mall (pronounced Maal by locals), a park area surrounding the frog pond and fountain. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. In front of the Courthouse is displayed a bomb shell brought from the Seige of Louisburg by Nathaniel Knapp jr. in 1759.

Tracey Mansion (now part of the Newburyport Public Library)
94 State Street
Built in 1771 by Patrick Tracey for his son, Nathaniel, the home was later owned by "Lord" Timothy Dexter. Throughout the early years of the Revolutionary War, the stately house was improved using privateering profits and decorated with imported furnishings along with the loot from British ships. In October of 1789, George Washington stayed the night here during his visit to Newburyport as a guest of the Tracey's. It was once the whole of the Public Library until the recent expansion and is now one wing of the library.

US Coastguard Monument
on the green between the Fire House and Boardwalk
Newburyport is the birthplace of the US Coastguard, beginning in 1793 with the launching of the USRC Massachusetts near this spot built by William Searle and commissioned by President George Washington.

Watt's Cellar
Market Square at the front left side of the Firehouse
This location was created before 1635 and before any local settlement as a place for fisherman to store their catch. Fisherman were in the area before any permanent settlement.

If you know of an historic place to visit in Newburyport, please submit it to jenn@gravematter.com

Find more museums in Massachusetts


Home | Burying Grounds | About This | Interesting Carvings | Quick Tidbits | Epitaphs | Blog | Contact, Sponsorships & Requests

All photographs and content Copyright © 2002 - <%=Year(Date)%> Jenn Marcelais (except where specified).
a Soul Oyster Web Studios production. web, design, seo & internet marketing services.