This website focuses on photographs and documenting the gravestones of
local Maine, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire history and genealogy of early ancestors who settled New England, and gravestone artistry. It's also completely a volunteer effort by a very small amount of people. Your contributions help keep this site growing. Please consider a donation if you've found anything interesting here.
These photos are never allowed to be copied or posted to other websites without permission.
Read the copyright notice before copying any photos or information off this site.
The Old Burying Hill is found by the Bartlett Mall, in between Auburn
Street and Greenleaf Street off of High Street in Newburyport. When
this cemetery was established in 1729 the town was still part of Newbury.
Newburyport formed a separate town in 1764. See it's location
and get directions at Yahoo
More pictures for Newburyport gravestones coming soon. There are currently 472 entries for this cemetery. When finished the entire project will have over 1,000 entries.
Cemetery Condition: Horrible!! This cemetery is not
well kept and deteriorates more every time I visit. Careful where you step, gophers run
rampant digging large holes throughout the entire burial ground. Many
times these holes are near the gravestones so that they topple over.
There is lots of trash, and the landscaping is horrible. At one time
someone was caring enough to place signs near the more prominent citizens
with information about them, but these are all faded, most have been
uprooted or broken. A restoration project is desperately needed for
this cemetery, and the longer it waits, the higher the cost will be.
Recently I learned that although the town is responsible for the groundskeeping,
the families of the deceased are responsible for the gravestones themselves
and any repair they may need. This is true throughout the state of Massachusetts.
But I do think it's time Newburyport put together a Cemetery Committee
to help preserve it's history.
Newburyport, Newbury and West Newbury were once all one town. Be sure to check their cemeteries as well when looking for early ancestors.
Bartlett Mall Bounded by High, Pond, Auburn, and Greenleaf Sts.
The Bartlett Mall (pronounced Maal by locals), is a park area surrounding the frog pond and fountain. The pond was
first shaped thousands of years ago by a huge chunk of ice which broke off a retreating glacier. When the ice finally melted, it left a steep - sided pit that geologists call the kettle hole. In the past it was used as a gravel pit, a training field for local militia and a ropewalk. There was also a windmill once located on this spot and the millstone from it can still be seen near the path along the south rim.
Benjamin Coker House 172 State St.
Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Boardwalk and Waterfront Park along the river off of Merrimack St.
During Newburyport's maritime era, this location was the landing area where merchant ships and privateers unloaded their cargo from around the world. It's now a beautiful boardwalk extending along the banks of the Merrimack River. Look for historic markers for features from the past such as the Custom House Slip, Warehouse Point, Francis Wharf, and Somerby's Landing.
Brown Square House Also known as Garrison Inn 11 Brown Sq. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.
Built in 1809 by Moses Brown as a residence, in later generations it served as a boarding house, inn and hotel. It was later renamed for patriot William Lloyd Garrison, a vocal spokesman against slavery. A statue of him is located in Brown Square located in front of the building. Today it is open as the Garrison Inn and features a restaurant and bar.
Caleb Cushing House Museum & Garden 98 High St. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Now the home of the Historical Society of Old Newbury.
The society dates back to 1877 and was organized for the purpose of the study and remembrance of Newbury's history which includes, Newbury, Newburyport, West Newbury, Byfield and Plum Island.
It now exhibits furnishings created by local craftsmen and imported during Newburyport's maritime era when it was a working seaport and imported goods from all over the world. On exhibit are also a the last remaining full wooden statue and arms from another that were once a large collection of historic figures carved into statues and displayed on the front lawn of Lord Timothy Dexter.
Open May-October, Tue-Fri, 10am-4pm, Saturday, 11am-2pm.
Carr's Ferry corner of High St. and Jefferson Street
Once the location of the first ferry to run across the Merrimack River from Newbury(port) to Salisbury. Established ca. 1639. It was once the only route from Boston to the Eastern Frontier.
Chain Bridge Main St. connecting Deer Island to Newburyport
First constructed in 1792, it was the first bridge over the Merrimack River. It was reconstructed in 1810 and is one the oldest suspension bridges in America.
Clark Currier Inn 45 Green Street
Built in 1803 by shipbuilder Thomas March Clark and the birthplace of his son Thomas March Clark jr. who became Bishop of Rhode Island. It now operates as an Inn.
Custom house Maritime Museum 25 Water St.
Classical Revival. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Designed by architect Robert Mills, who also designed such historical buildings as the Washington Monument
and the U.S. Treasury building. Built in 1835, this building was originally used as a Custom house in which the federal government collected taxes on imported goods brought home to Newburyport by ship captains from far away ports. The Museum maintains original artifacts from the prosperous trade era, maritime art, models of Newburyport-built vessels, trades routs and journals, and old maps showing the city's birth. Exhibitions focus on Newburyport's role on privateering, and fame - and fortune - it brought to local captains such as Moses Brown. Tours for students, programs for families and kids, and lectures fro the maritime enthusiast, all feature Newburyport's connection to the sea and rich maritime heritage. Open Memorial Day - Labor Day: Tuesday through Sunday 11a.m. - 4p.m.
Dalton House 95 State St.
Georgian, Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Built in 1792 by Michael Dalton, it was once home to his son Tristam Dalton, the first U.S. Senator from Massachusetts.
George Washington dined here with the Dalton family on his visit to Newburyport in 1789. It now houses the Dalton Club, a social club.
Dodge Building 19-23 Pleasant St. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.
Edward Rawson House Site 267 High Street
Once the location of the home of Edward Rawson, secretary of the Massachusetts Bay Colony for 36 years, deputy to the General Court and clerk to the House of Deputies.
High Street Mansions High St.
A testimony to the once glorious and profitable maritime era of Newburyport, this street is lined with Federal style mansions once owned by local shipping merchants.
Isles of Shoals Some islands located in Maine, some in New Hampshire 10 miles off the coast of Kittery/Portsmouth/Rye. Tours to and around the island are available in Portsmouth, Rye, & Newburyport. Starting as a fishing community in the 16th century, and later a resort community popular during the Victorian era, it's most famous residents are Samuel Haley, the Smuttynose Murder victims and writer Celia Thaxter. More information and history.
Lord Timothy Dexter House High Street
Once the home of local merchant, eccentric and incredibly interesting character Timothy Dexter. It once included a crypt in the backyard where Dexter intended to be buried at his death, and held mock funerals in preparation before his death. This crypt was never used for its intended purpose and Dexter was buried at Old Hill Burying Ground. In front of the home was once decorated with large wooden statues Dexter had carved of himself and historic figures such as George Washington. The home is now a private residence.
Market Square Historic District Market Sq. and properties fronting on State, Merrimac, Liberty, and Water Sts. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Much of the downtown area was leveled in the 1811 fire, but was rebuilt afterwards. Many of those buildings remain today.
Maudslay State Park Curzon Mill Road
The former Moseley family estate on the Merrimack River, this park features 19th century gardens and plantings, rolling meadows, towering pines, and one of the largest naturally-occurring stands of mountain laurel in Massachusetts. Most breathtaking are the ornamental trees and masses of azaleas and rhododendrons that bloom in May and June.
A wonderful place for walking, other activities include fishing, bird watching, cycling, picnicking, horseback riding, hiking, cross country skiing, and snowshoeing. Maudslay is also host to many outdoor concerts and performances during the summer season including some by the Theater in the Open.
Open year round.
Newburyport Harbor Front Range Light Merrimac River Coast Guard Station Listed on National Register of Historic Places.
Newburyport Harbor Light Northern Blvd. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.
Newburyport Harbor Rear Range Light Water St. near Merrimac River Listed on National Register of Historic Places.
Newburyport Historic District Roughly bounded by Merrimack River, Plummer Ave., Marlboro, Plummer, State, and High Sts. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.
Newburyport Tea Party Plaque 35 Market Sq
In protest of the tax on tea imposed by England of 1773, many seaports had their own versions of a "Tea Party" as in Boston. Newburyport merchants brought their cargoes of tea here and publicly set it on fire.
Old Jail Auburn Street
Built in 1825, where stocks and pillories once stood in the garden. General Lafayette placed the cornerstone there in 1825. It is now privately owned.
Old South Presbyterian Church 29 Federal Street
Built in 1743. The bell in the tower was cast by Paul Revere.
Benedict Arnold and his troops worshiped here on their way to fight in Canada. Rev. George Whitefield, a colleague of Ben Franklin is buried here in the crypt under the pulpit.
John Greenleaf Whittier once penned a poem as a tribute to this church and pastor.
Phoenix Room 19 Inn Street
A hidden jewel of downtown Newburyport, the building was constructed in 1809 by
a group of prominent Newburyport residents who formed the Phoenix Marine & Fire Insurance Society. Now used as a function hall, this portion of the building has been restored to its Federal period beauty.
Superior Courthouse Bounded by High, Pond, Auburn, and Greenleaf Sts.
Designed by Charles Bullfinch and built in 1805.
Behind it is the Bartlett Mall (pronounced Maal by locals), a park area surrounding the frog pond and fountain. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. In front of the Courthouse is displayed a bomb shell brought from the Seige of Louisburg by Nathaniel Knapp jr. in 1759.
Tracey Mansion (now part of the Newburyport Public Library) 94 State Street
Built in 1771 by Patrick Tracey for his son, Nathaniel, the home was later owned by "Lord" Timothy Dexter.
Throughout the early years of the Revolutionary War, the stately house was improved using privateering profits and decorated with imported furnishings along with the loot from British ships. In
October of 1789, George Washington stayed the night here during his visit to Newburyport as a guest of the Tracey's.
It was once the whole of the Public Library until the recent expansion and is now one wing of the library.
US Coastguard Monument on the green between the Fire House and Boardwalk
Newburyport is the birthplace of the US Coastguard, beginning in 1793 with the launching of the USRC Massachusetts near this spot built by William Searle and commissioned by President George Washington.
Watt's Cellar Market Square at the front left side of the Firehouse
This location was created before 1635 and before any local settlement as a place for fisherman to store their catch. Fisherman were in the area before any permanent settlement.