Donate to help this project

This website focuses on photographs and documenting the gravestones of local Maine, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire history and genealogy of early ancestors who settled New England, and gravestone artistry. It's also completely a volunteer effort by a very small amount of people. Your contributions help keep this site growing. Please consider a donation if you've found anything interesting here.

These photos are never allowed to be copied or posted to other websites without permission.
Read the copyright notice before copying any photos or information off this site.

A Very Grave Matter on Facebook
Burying Grounds | About This Project | Interesting Carvings | Soul Effigies & Angels | Quick Tidbits | Epitaphs | Blog | Contact
Headstones, Colonial, Revolutionary War, Vital Records, Epitaphs, Epitaph, Historical, photos, photography, photographs, pictures, tombstone art, 17th century, 18th century, 16th century
 

Burying Grounds, Cemeteries, Gravestones & History of Newbury, Massachusetts

Cemeteries & History of Newbury, Massachusetts

Newbury Neck Burying Ground was established in 1742 and is located at the beginning of Newbury Neck Road, off of High Rd / Route 1A. See it's location and get directions at Yahoo Maps.

There are currently 54 entries for this cemetery. Click on the small photo in the popup window to view a larger image.

Check the Newburyport listings at this site also for more Newbury gravestones, since it was part of Newbury until 1764.

Cemetery Status: Good condition. The landscaping could use some work.

Newbury Neck Cemetery

 

View entire gallery

Elisabeth Dole d. 1803
Abigail Hale d. 1763
Capt. Daniel Hale d. 1745
Deacon Daniel Hale d. 1799
Infant Hale d. 1766
Isaac Hale d. 1819
Joshua Hale d. 1742
Judith Hale d. 1775
Kezia Hale d. 1763
Rebecca Poore Jewett d. 1760
Infant Kilborn d. 1782
Abigail Plumer d. 1707
Amos Moody Plumer d. 1822
Anna Plumer d. 1755
David Plumer d. 1847
Hannah Plumer d. 1849
Jane D. Plumer d. 1843
Joanna Plumer d. 1817
John Plumer d. 1765
John Plumer d. 1772
Elder Jonathan Plumer d. 1733
Jonathan Plumer d. 1806
Joseph Brown Plumer d. 1786
Mark Plumer d. 1810
Rebekah Plumer d. 1780
Salina Giles Plumer d. 1829, fell from Parker river bridge, and drowned.
Sarah Plumer d. 1841
Abigail Poor d. 1774
Abigail Poor d. 1877
Anne Poor d. 1792
Catherine Low Sutton Poor d. 1882
Edwin Poor d. 1858
Emily Poor d. 1837
Eunice Poor, photo 2 d. 1825
Hannah Poor d. 1840
Hannah Poor d. 1867
Hannah Poor
John Poor d. 1764
John Poor d. 1788
Judith Poor d. 1856
Merrill Poor
Samuel Poor, photo 2 d. 1849
Samuel Poor d. 1878
Stephen Poor d. 1825
Stephen Poor
Capt. Theophilus Poor d. 1827
Jonathan Poore d. 1742
Amos Thurston d. 1776
Benjamin Thurston d. 1807
Daniel Thurston d. 1775
Eunice Thurston d. 1818
Jane Thurston d. 1795
John Thurston d. 1829
John Thurston d. 1751
Sarah Thurston d. 1795
Stephen Thurston d. 1789

More History in Newbury to Visit

Coffin House
14 High Road, Route 1A
Built 1678 by Tristram Coffin. The house chronicles the evolution of domestic life in rural New England over three centuries. The structure, whitch contains the family's furnishings, began as a simple dwelling built in the post-medieval style. Open: June through October
First Saturday of the month, Tours at 11 a.m., noon, 1 p.m., 2 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4 p.m.

Dole-Little House
289 High Road
Built around 1715, with materials salvaged from an earlier structure, the Dole-Little House was constructed for Richard Dole, a cattleman. The house was built on a two-room, central-chimney plan with a small kitchen shed at the rear. Tours by appointment only.

Hale-Boynton House
Middle St.
Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Historical Society of Old Newbury
98 High Street, Newburyport

James Noyes House
7 Parker Rd.
Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Newbury Historic District Also known as The First Parish;Upper Green
Irregular pattern along High Rd., Green and Hanover Sts.
Private residences. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Spencer-Pierce-Little Farm
5 Little's Lane
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Open: June 1 through October 15
Thursday through Sunday: 11 a.m. - 5 p.m. Wednesday open for group tours by appointment. Special events throughout the season. See HistoricNewEngland.org for details.

Swett-Ilsley House
4 High Road
Built c. 1670 by Stephen Swett, the original portion of the house was constructed on a single-room plan with chimney bay and faced south. Open May 21, 12-4pm , and July 29, 1-5pm. Private Heritage Tours available with advanced reservations.

If you know of an historic place to visit in Newbury, please submit it to jenn@gravematter.com

Find more museums in Massachusetts

 


Home | Burying Grounds | About This | Interesting Carvings | Quick Tidbits | Epitaphs | Blog | Contact, Sponsorships & Requests

All photographs and content Copyright © 2002 - <%=Year(Date)%> Jenn Marcelais (except where specified).
a Soul Oyster Web Studios production. web, design, seo & internet marketing services.