Donate to help this project

This website focuses on photographs and documenting the gravestones of local Maine, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire history and genealogy of early ancestors who settled New England, and gravestone artistry. It's also completely a volunteer effort by a very small amount of people. Your contributions help keep this site growing. Please consider a donation if you've found anything interesting here.

These photos are never allowed to be copied or posted to other websites without permission.
Read the copyright notice before copying any photos or information off this site.

A Very Grave Matter on Facebook
Burying Grounds | About This Project | Interesting Carvings | Soul Effigies & Angels | Quick Tidbits | Epitaphs | Blog | Contact
Headstones, Colonial, Revolutionary War, Vital Records, Epitaphs, Epitaph, Historical, photos, photography, photographs, pictures, tombstone art, 17th century, 18th century, 16th century
 

Burying Grounds, Cemeteries, Gravestones & History of Newbury, Massachusetts

Cemeteries & History of Newbury, Massachusetts

The Burying Ground of the First Settlers is located on High Rd / Route 1A in Newbury and was established in 1635. Keep an eye out, only a small sign is visible from the road. See it's location and get directions at Yahoo Maps.

Check the Newburyport listings at this site also for more Newbury gravestones, since it was part of Newbury until 1764.

Cemetery Status: Excellent condition. Many of the original stones that had long disappeared have had very good replicas made. Landscaping has much improved.

Burying Ground of the First Settlers 1635

Newbury
This burying ground was laid out in 1635 by the first town selectmen and restored in 1929 by William I. and Jane Dole Moore in memory of Richard Dole and the first settlers.
There are also several unlettered stones to mark graves.


View entire gallery

Robert Adams d. 1682
Richard Bartlett d. 1647
Abigail Chase d. 1678
Anne Dole d. 1775
Daniel Dole d. 1773
Hannah Rolfe Dole d. 1678
Richard Dole d. 1705
Richard Dole d. 1770
Richard Dole d. 1778, constructor of the Dole-Little House Museum.
Stephen Dole d. 1741/42
William Dole d. 1717
William Dole d. 1752
John Emery Sr. d. 1683
Capt. Edmund Greenleaf d. 1671
Joseph Ilsley d. 1764
Percival Lowell d. 1665
Nathaniel Merrill d. 1655
Anthony Morse d. 1678
Ann Emery Ordway d. 1681
James Ordway d. 16??
Hannah Pearson d. 1659
Cutting Plumer d. 1776
Jane Plumer d. 1774
Jonathan Plumer d. 1726
William Sawyer d. 1701
Anthony Somerby d. 1686, was from Cambridge, England and was the first schoolmaster of Newbury and town clerk.
Hannah Merrill Swett d. 1662
Stephen Swett d. 16??
Ann Pell Thurston d. 16??
Daniel Thurston d. 1693
Daniel Thurston jr. d. 1661
James Thurston d. 1670
Joseph Thurston d. 1667
Stephen Thurston d. 1674
Abraham Toppan d. 1672
Edward Woodman d. 1690, settled in Newbury in 1635, Selectman Deputy to the General Court and Commissioner.

More History in Newbury to Visit

Coffin House
14 High Road, Route 1A
Built 1678 by Tristram Coffin. The house chronicles the evolution of domestic life in rural New England over three centuries. The structure, whitch contains the family's furnishings, began as a simple dwelling built in the post-medieval style. Open: June through October
First Saturday of the month, Tours at 11 a.m., noon, 1 p.m., 2 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4 p.m.


Dole-Little House

289 High Road
Built around 1715, with materials salvaged from an earlier structure, the Dole-Little House was constructed for Richard Dole, a cattleman. The house was built on a two-room, central-chimney plan with a small kitchen shed at the rear. Tours by appointment only.

Hale-Boynton House
Middle St.
Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Historical Society of Old Newbury
98 High Street, Newburyport

James Noyes House
7 Parker Rd.
Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Newbury Historic District Also known as The First Parish;Upper Green
Irregular pattern along High Rd., Green and Hanover Sts.
Private residences. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Spencer-Pierce-Little Farm
5 Little's Lane
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Open: June 1 through October 15
Thursday through Sunday: 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Wednesday open for group tours by appointment. Special events throughout the season. See HistoricNewEngland.org for details.

Swett-Ilsley House
4 High Road
Built c. 1670 by Stephen Swett, the original portion of the house was constructed on a single-room plan with chimney bay and faced south. Open May 21, 12-4pm , and July 29, 1-5pm. Private Heritage Tours available with advanced reservations.

If you know of an historic place to visit in Newbury, please submit it to jenn@gravematter.com

Find more museums in Massachusetts

Home | Burying Grounds | About This | Interesting Carvings | Quick Tidbits | Epitaphs | Blog | Contact, Sponsorships & Requests

All photographs and content Copyright © 2002 - <%=Year(Date)%> Jenn Marcelais (except where specified).
a Soul Oyster Web Studios production. web, design, seo & internet marketing services.