Donate to help this project

This website focuses on photographs and documenting the gravestones of local Maine, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire history and genealogy of early ancestors who settled New England, and gravestone artistry. It's also completely a volunteer effort by a very small amount of people. Your contributions help keep this site growing. Please consider a donation if you've found anything interesting here.

These photos are never allowed to be copied or posted to other websites without permission.
Read the copyright notice before copying any photos or information off this site.

A Very Grave Matter on Facebook
Burying Grounds | About This Project | Interesting Carvings | Soul Effigies & Angels | Quick Tidbits | Epitaphs | Blog | Contact
Headstones, Colonial, Revolutionary War, Vital Records, Epitaphs, Epitaph, Historical, photos, photography, photographs, pictures, tombstone art, 17th century, 18th century, 16th century
 

Burying Grounds, Cemeteries, Gravestones & History of Ipswich, Massachusetts

Cemeteries & History of Ipswich, Massachusetts

The Old Linebrook Cemetery is located at the the corner of Linebrook and Newbury Roads in Ipswich, MA. Although someone was buried here in 1725, the burial ground was used infrequently until the 1770s.

Old Linebrook Cemetery
All photos donated by and copyright © of Bill Boyington.

View entire Gallery

Eunice Andrews d. 1865
Joseph Andrews d. 1838
John Caleff d. 1804
Capt. Phillip Carrell d. 1849
Eliza S. Chapman d. 1888
Elizabeth Chapman d. 1822
Joseph Chapman d. 1826
Martha Chapman d. 1840
Mary Chapman d. 1775
Mary Chapman d. 1821
Nabby Chapman d. 1808
Ruth Chapman d. 1799
Frederick A. Clapp (front) d. 1879 back
Frederick L. Clapp d. 1896
Abigail T. Conant d. 1844
Anna Foster Conant d. 1877
Calvin Conant d. 1843
Charles Conant d. 1905
Cyrus Conant d. 1819
Daniel Conant d. 1882
Elizabeth Conant d. 1798 footstone
Elizabeth Conant d. 1810
Elizabeth Conant d. 1817
Elizabeth Foster Conant d. 1844
Gilbert Conant d. 1885
Gilbert Roger Conant d. 1859
Hannah Conant d. 1889
Ida M. Conant d. 1860
Irene Conant d. 1838
Israel Conant d. 1849
John Batchelder Conant d. 1841
Joseph Conant d. 1870
Joseph Conant d. 1885
Lavinia Conant d. 1870
Lois Conant d. 1834
Lucy H. Conant d. 1886
Martha M. Conant d. 1863
Martha P. Conant d. 1830
Martha P. Conant d. 1894
Mary Simpson Conant d. 1901
Matta Conant d. 1798
Ruth Conant d. 1859
Ruth Conant d. 1902
Sarah Conant d. 1804
William Conant d. 1784
William Conant d. 1826
William Conant d. 1851
William Conant d. 1858
Dea. William F. Conant d. 1886 photo 2
William M. Conant d. 1906
William P. Conant d. 1830
Abbie L. Dodge d. 1860
Andrew Dodge d. 1828
Cornelia Dodge d. 1856
Elizabeth Dodge d. 1861
Livermore Dodge d. 1850
Luke Dodge d. 1853
Maria Perley Dodge d. 1852 photo 2
Samuel D. Dodge d. 1860
Daniel Ellsworth d. 1849
Dorcas Ellsworth d. 1836
Dorcas Ellsworth d. 1866
Hiram Ellsworth d. 1859
Jeremiah Ellsworth d. 1886
Lois Ellsworth d. 1886
Olive F. Ellsworth d. 1861
Allen Foster d. 1805
Cynthia Foster d. 1881 back
David A. Foster d. 1848
Ebenezer P. Foster d. 1849
Eunice Foster d. 1865
Gorham Foster d. 1880
Gorham Parsons Foster d. 1851
Harriet M. Foster d. 1929
John Foster d. 1841
Jonathan Foster d. 1836
Jonathan Foster d. 1866 back
Joseph Foster d. 1861
Lewis P. Foster d. 1868
Lucy Foster d. 1800
Lucy Foster d. 1850
Lydia B. Foster d. 1888
Mary Foster d. 1822
Mary F. Plouff Foster d. 1915
Mary Jane Foster d. 1847
Mary Jane Foster d. 1847
Mary T. Foster d. 1872
Nabby Foster d. 1857 photo 2
Philemon Foster d. 1845 photo 2
Dea. Philemon Foster d. 1818
Phineas Foster d. 1811
Ruth Foster d. 1834
Samuel Foster d. 1869
Debby Fowler d. 1805
Gilbert Fowler d. 1804
John Fowler d. 1803
Mercy Fowler d. 1773
Perkins Fowler d. 1804
John Henry Hart d. 1904
Maryetta Hayden Hart d. 1869
Abraham How d. 1770
Hepzibah How d. 1753
Lucy How d. 1824
Aaron Howe d. 1855
Abel Howe d. 1855 photo 2
Abel Spofford Howe d. 1907
Capt. Abraham Howe, Jr. d. 1795 footstone
Dea. Abraham Howe d. 1797
Clarence E. Howe
Eliza P. Howe d. 1882
Elizabeth Howe d. 1796
Emerson Howe d. 1885
Hannah Howe d. 1828
John Howe d. 1781
John Leavitt Howe d. 1902
Lewis S. Howe
Lucy Foster Howe d. 1841
Margaret Howe d. 1868 photo 2
Mark Howe d. 1776
Mark Howe d. 1853
Mary Jane Leavitt Howe d. 1908
Nathaniel Howe d. 1809
Ruth Conant Howe d. 1902
Amos Jewett d. 1775 footstone
Elizabeth Kneeland d. 1829
Charles C. Lavalette d. 1881, 32 Regiment Massachusetts Volunteers (Civil War).
Lois E. Lavalette d. 1867
Phillip C. Lavalette d. 1868
Freddie Judson Mooar d. 1860
Huldah Morse d. 1820
Julia W. Morse d. 1897
Ruth Morse d. 1850
Samuel Morse d. 1888
Dea. Timothy Morse d. 1824
Dea. Timothy Morse d. 1848
Sarah Carroll Moulton d. 1851
John Parley d. 1725
Eunice F. Peabody d. 1887
John Peabody d. 1889
Abraham Perley d. 1861
Allen Perley d. 1804
Allen Perley d. 1843
Almira J. Perley d. 1907
Andrew Jackson Perley d. 1840
Carrie Perley (front) d. 1868 back
David Perley d. 1851
Dolley Perley d. 1871
Dolly Perley d. 1871
Edith Florence Perley (front) d. 1959 back
Edwin Perley d. 1872 back
Eliza Howe Perley d. 1915
Elizabeth Perley d. 1873
Esther Perley d. 1853
Capt. Jacob Perley d. 1829
John Perley d. 1822
John Perley d. 1858
Joseph P. Perley d. 1885
Laura Elizabeth Perley (front) d. 1926 back
Lawrence Perley d. 1880
Lydia Perley d. 1804
Lydia Maria Pearson Perley (front) d. 1880 back
Lyman Howe Perley d. 1933
Martha Perley d. 1819
Martha M. Perley d. 1863
Martha Mary Perley d. 1863
Martin Van Buren Perley d. 1926 back
Mary Perley d. 1824
Mary Perley d. 1854
Mehetable Perley d. 1836
Samuel Perley d. 1863
Sarah Perley d. 1858
Silas Perley d. 1861
Stephen Perley d. 1877
Van Herbert Perley d. 1896 back
Warren Healy Perley d. 1884 back
Winfield A. Perley d. 1923
Eliza Pingry d. 1848
Salome Plummer d. 1850
Albert E. Potter d. 1850
Dea. Anthony Potter d. 1791
Elizabeth Potter d. 1781
Ezekiel Potter d. 1801 photo 2
Ezekiel Potter d. 1832
Ezekiel P. Potter d. 1895
Hannah Potter d. 1826
Harriet Potter d. 1832
John Potter d. 1850
Lydia Potter d. 1771
Mary Jane Potter d. 1851
Mary Potter d. 1806 photo 2
Mary Gage Potter d. 1872
Nathaniel Potter d. 1771
Phebe Potter d. 1859
Capt. Benjamin Scott d. 1809
Martha Scott d. 1833
Elizabeth Simmons d. 1768
Elizabeth Smith d. 1776
Harriet Smith d. 1917
James Smith d. 1805
Jemima Smith d. 1779
Jemima Smith d. 1795
Jeremiah Smith d. 1795
John Smith d. 1900
Linda C. Lavalette Swain d. 1919
Dorothy White d. 1843


 

More History in Ipswich to Visit

Appleton Farms
219 County Road, Entrance at Lamson Field on Highland Street
Established in 1638 as a land grant to Samuel Appleton, Appleton Farms is one of the oldest continuously operating farms in the United States. Scenic views of rolling grasslands, grazing livestock, ancient stone walls, tree-lined carriage paths, and historic farm buildings are all part of the legacy of nine generations of Appleton family members kept alive through the work of The Trustees of Reservations. Open year round from dawn until dusk.

Bailey House
40 Market St
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Benjamin Grant House
47 County St.
Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Brown's Manor
115 High St.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Brown Stocking Mill Historic District
24--32 Broadway Ave., 3--41 Brownville Ave., 10 Burleigh Ave., 3--5 Burleigh Pl., and 35--47 Topsfield Rd
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Burnham-Patch House
1 Turkey Shore Rd.
Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Caldwell Block
S. Main St.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Choate Bridge
MA 133/1A over the Ipswich River (S. Main St.)
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Dr. John Calef House
7 Poplar St
Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

East End Historic District
East St.
Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Giddings--Burnham House
37 Argilla Rd.
Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Great House at Castle Hill, The Crane Estate
Argilla Road
Centuries before becoming a grand summer estate owned by one of America's wealthiest families, Castle Hill was well known by Native Americans who called the area Agawam, referring to its rich fishery. John Winthrop, Jr., son of the first governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, lay claim to Castle Hill in 1637. For more than two centuries, a succession of owners farmed the land. Beginning in the 1880s, J.B. Brown transformed Castle Hill Farm from an agricultural holding into a gentleman's farm. He improved roadways and plantings and renovated his modest farmhouse into a rambling, shingle-style cottage that is now The Inn at Castle Hill. Open June 1-Oct. 28, Wed/Thurs 10am-4pm, Friday 9am-12pm; Open Columbus Day. Fees: Trustees members: free. Nonmembers: adult $10, child (6-12) and senior $8. Special Group Tours (minimum 15 people): $10 per person. Tour prices includes admission to grounds.

Greenwood Farm
Jeffrey's Neck Road
Located on a peninsula on the Ipswich River Estuary, Greenwood Farm comprises pastures, meadow, woodlands, salt marsh, and three tidal islands: Diamond Stage, Widow's, and Homestead. A trail meanders through an upland field before opening onto a broad vista of the Paine House at the edge of the marsh. The design, construction, materials, and craftsmanship of this late First Period (1694) house represent the unique style of the era. Recent archaeological investigations revealed a rare survival of an eighteenth-century milk room or dairy inside the house. In the 1640s, Robert Paine Sr. received a land grant from the Town of Ipswich for the Paine Farm. There he began a 250-year-old tradition of raising cattle, harvesting salt hay, and fishing. Grounds open year-round, daily, sunrise to sunset. Paine House tours : June to September, Sundays, 1-5pm

Hall-Haskell House
30 South Main Street, next to Ipswich Town Hall
The Hall-Haskell House is officially designated an Essex National Heritage Area Visitor Center. As such, in addition to giving information about Ipswich's history, the Hall-Haskell House also provides information on resources in the towns of Essex, Hamilton, Wenham, Topsfield, and Boxford, as well as general information about the Essex National Heritage Area. Open May 1 - Memorial Day: Sat 9-5, Sun 12-5. Memorial Day - October 31: Mon - Sat 9-5, Sun 12-5. November & December: Sat 9-5, Sun 12-5. January - April: Closed.

Heard House
54 South Main Street
John Heard (1744-1834) was a prominent Ipswich resident. He was a typical merchant with large holdings in the West Indies. In addition to a distillery, he owned a controlling interest in the Ipswich Mills. During the Revolution, he had interests in many privateering ships, and he also equipped and owned the privateer brig John.The family dwelling was built by John Heard in 1795 and was lived in by his descendants until 1953. Today, the house mingles Western and Asian cultures in an atmosphere of the China trade years. Treasures from the trade include: chests, tea-wood cabinets, chairs and tables, a beautifully gilded Buddha, and an elaborate lacquered Japanese cabinet. The Heard House Museum is the headquarters of the Ipswich Historical Society. Tours are provided from May 25 through October 22, Wednesdays through Saturdays, 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. Sunday, 1:00-4:00 p.m. (Mondays and Tuesdays by appointment only) Tours begin on the hour. Last tour at 3:00 p.m.

Heard-Lakeman House
2 Turkey Shore Rd.
Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

High Street Historic District
High St.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

House on Labor-in-Vain Road Also known as Belosellsky House;Bellosellski House
Labor in Vain Rd.
Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Howe Barn
403 Linebrook Rd.
Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Ipswich Historical Society
54 South Main Street
Ipswich, MA 01938-2322
Phone: (978) 356-2811
Fax: (978) 356-2817
Email: info@ipswichmuseum.net

Ipswich Mills Historic District
Roughly bounded by Union St., Boston and Maine RR tracks, and the Ipswich River
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Isaac Goodale House
141 Argilla Rd.
Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

James Burnham House
37 Heartbreak Rd.
Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

John Whipple House
53 S. Main St.
Museum. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Meetinghouse Green Historic District
N. Main St.
Private residences. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Merrifield House
7 Woods Lane
Private residences. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Nathaniel Rust Mansion
83 County St.
Private residences. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Paine--Dodge House
49 Jeffrey's Neck Rd.
Private residences. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Ross Tavern
52 Jeffrey's Neck Rd.
Private residences. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Shoreborne Wilson House
4 S. Main St.
Private residence. Colonial house. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

South Green Historic District
MA 1A
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Thomas Low House
36 Heartbreak Rd.
Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Turner Hill Also known as LaSalette Seminary & Shrine
315 Topsfield Rd.
Tudor Revival. Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Wade House
5 Woods Lane
Federal style building. Private residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Whipple House
1 South Village Green
The Whipple House is one of the finest examples of “first period” American architecture (1625-1725) in existence. Its original form was called a "half house," and followed the typical East Anglian house plan -- timber framed buildings that were typically built in the English region from which the Whipples originated. John Whipple (1596-1669), the patriarch of the family, arrived in America with his wife and children shortly before 1638. He became a wealthy textile merchant and a man of considerable standing in Ipswich. The oldest part of the house dates to 1677, when John Whipple's son, the military officer and wealthy entrepreneur Captain John Whipple (1625-83) constructed a single-cell, two-and-one-half-story structure with a single gable; his son, Major John Whipple (1657-1722), added twenty-four feet in length and a second gable to the house in 1690, possibly constructing the eastern part of the lean-to at that time. The lean-to was later extended to the west and raised to two stories. Tours are provided from May 25 through October 22, Wednesdays through Saturdays, 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. Sunday, 1:00-4:00 p.m. (Mondays and Tuesdays by appointment only)
Tours begin on the hour. Last tour at 3:00 p.m.

Find more museums in Massachusetts

 

If you know of an historic place to visit in Ipswich, please submit it to jenn@gravematter.com

Home | Burying Grounds | About This | Interesting Carvings | Quick Tidbits | Epitaphs | Blog | Contact, Sponsorships & Requests

All photographs and content Copyright © 2002 - <%=Year(Date)%> Jenn Marcelais (except where specified).
a Soul Oyster Web Studios production. web, design, seo & internet marketing services.